Low light

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Is there a minimum sensor size to capture "good" or at least "decent" low light recordings?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Is there a minimum sensor size to capture "good" or at least "decent" low light recordings?

Actually no, it depends a lot on what you accept as decent. Some people would shout out loud about the recordings of some cameras, others think it's fine. It also depends on what device you are viewing on and on the viewing distance. If you watch on a TV and sit far away, you probably would't realize what makes you go crazy while editing on a 27" computer monitor. So there is always a bit of pixel peeping involved.
But the depth is the same on all monitors and TVs. Make a youtube search for videos of the v770. Even zoomed all the way in there's hardly any depth.

Ahh yes you are definitely right there is very little depth at all. I don't need spectacular performance but I also don't want to feel like I need a new camera in a year. It seems like everyone has a suggestion and they are all different lol

Haha, definitely.
In regard to video there are actually two styles.
  1. One being the more video-style of the "old" videocameras with very little depth and high all-around sharpness. That´s the look of the cameras with small sensors. Many news-agencies work with this style because it is rather easy getting things in focus.
  2. And then there is the movie-style you know from hollywood ;). These work with rather shallow depth and a softer look. Since introduction of DSLR video, this style has been made publicly available. DSLRs and mirrorless cameras with larger sensors (APS-C and full frame sensors) deliver this look.
My vote still goes for the sony a6000 if it is within your budget. This camera is big value for money. And Sony knows that by now. That´s why it´s successor, the a6300, is way more expensive.
Do you have an example on what look you´d like to achieve? Then we could give you a hint on what cameras can do that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back