making colors "pop"- GIMP

LOL great analogy. I will add that software to my collection. It was also mentioned in some of my research.

For the HDR, I found some donationware called Photonaut. One review did a side by side comparison of it with PS. The PS version preserved more highlight detail, but Photonaut is incredibly realistic. I am counting down the time until my lunch break so I can play with it.

It probably seems like I've been asking a lot of questions about different techniques/gear lately: HDR, EF, panoramas, different lenses, tripods/accessories.

Truth is, I'm stuck in an MWAC rut. Portraits aren't inspiring me at the moment and I am working to create my first real piece of art that I can be proud of, maybe even hang on my wall (or someone else's!). There are a few images I can see in my mind that I plan to capture. Spray and Pray simply won't work for this, something I've been planning for a couple months. Learning new skills and techniques are the only ways I can make this happen.

Have you tried Luminace yet?

I keep mentioning it to people around here, and it just seems to get getting ignored! WHY?

As far as your rut, I think new techniques can hold your interest and add more tools to the bag. The issue is more likely going to be subject matter. Play around with some new ideas, it'll work out.

Downloaded Luminance yesterday! I didn't realize how much free, open source software was available for photography/digital art.

Being in a creative rut sucks, though I'm feeling a little better in the past week or two since giving up the train of thought that it will never end. I've been trying to look at the world around me from more of an abstract POV, which personally, is hard; I'm a very concrete, type A thinker. It's amazing how a small change of perception can improve the creative process.

Open-mindedness is also apparently key; techniques that I used to look down on now seem more useful than ever.

Yes, picturenaut!! You'd never know I've already drank a pot of coffee...

Have Luminance, need to work with it though. I'll check out the other you suggested as well.

Luminance is my first choice, then PictureNaut.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back