Manual Focus Vs Auto Focus

I starting shooting in the pre-auto days of film. Back when 'auto' was a car not a mode. As a pro, I shot every working day for decades. I love autofocus. Autofocus is the best thing since sliced bread. For me, for what I shoot and how I shoot, autofocus has far more advantages than disadvantages.

PS- 90% of what I shoot is people, back when I was a pro with film and now shooting for myself with digital ... I choose auto over manual.

PPS- As a pro, the only thing that mattered to me was the final image ... how you got there didn't matter. My boat floats on capturing the exceptional image ... period. If your boat floats on the photographic experience and manual focus increases that experience ... then good for you. But for me, autofocus increases my camera manipulation speed and increases my consistency rate. Both of those elements are more important to me than photographic experience.

Last edited:
I starting shooting in the pre-auto days of film. Back when 'auto' was a car not a mode. As a pro, I shot every working day for decades. I love autofocus. Autofocus is the best thing since sliced bread. For me, for what I shoot and how I shoot, autofocus has far more advantages than disadvantages.

PS- 90% of what I shoot is people, back when I was a pro with film and now shooting for myself with digital ... I choose auto over manual.

PPS- As a pro, the only thing that mattered to me was the final image ... how you got there didn't matter. My boat floats on capturing the exceptional image ... period. If your boat floats on the photographic experience and manual focus increases that experience ... then good for you. But for me, autofocus increases my camera manipulation speed and increases my consistency rate. Both of those elements are more important to me than photographic experience.

Amen!

I also like using the camera and not just pointing it all the time. Both are good at different times.

Personnaly, AF or MF... I had some good Zeiss MF lenses and I bought A7ii for use it. I like Zeiss and I bought three new lenses (2 Loxia and one Batis). The two Loxia are in MF and Batis in AF... Ebay sold near mint Hexanon 50 mm f1.7, a very good lenses for 40$ with adapter include and free shipping. Other bargain, Canon 85 mm f1.8 FD for 125$ near mint and Canon 200 mm f4 FD for 60$, near mint too.

It's because I use MF instead AF. For my personal needs, it's ok (no action, shot, only landscape and architecture and street photo). Different people, different needs ans taste :encouragement:

There are situations when MF delivers and situations when AF delivers. I prefer AF when it works better because I have one thing less to worry about in fast paced situations.

But when I go to shoot for fun only, MF is often nearer to my emotion, the whole process is more sensual, I feel more immersed.

I shot always for fun and I have no preference, only the optical quality.

There are situations when MF delivers and situations when AF delivers.

Pretty much sums it up. I consider my camera like my shop full of tools. Every tool has a function, some may serve multiple functions, some not so much, in the end it's up to me to decide the proper use for the job at hand.

I use manual when shooting with my Minox35GT, Rollei 35, or Nikon FE2

I use both and for me, it depends on what I am shooting. If it is a still shot or knowing that I won't be missing the shot if I have to retake the picture I will use MF. If it is an action shot like taking pictures at a gymnastics competition where the range of shots change really fast I use AF. It is all preference.

I use manual focus most of the time when I am shooting macro. I also use a lot of manual focus lenses with my Sony a6000. Kinda of like driving a manual shift transmission.

Today I paid 30 US$ to Tom Hogan to learn the AF system .... and metering sytem of my D500 and it was worth every (!) Penny!

Not only is what Nikon states incomplete and confusing it is also at times misleading or incorrect.

Even if you switch all and every thing to manual you might still want to use the camera for exposure metering instead of using the Gossen or Sekonic ....

You should know how the metering system works. Fifth Generation has changed a lot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back