Manual or Automatic?

Manual or Automatic?

• Manual

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Automatic

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
ON the other hand, i couldn't ever imagine owning mustang or sports car that had a automatic transmission.
My brother had an old manual Mustang - it was happy enough starting off in top gear so could be driven almost like an automatic :)
Some of the small cars I've driven may not have had enough power to turn over an auto box! You really have to work the gears to get the most out of a basic 600cc engine...

I voted manual but they are different tools for different jobs. From now until the end of time my daily driver will be an auto, as well as a truck that I buy. The M3 that I buy on the other hand... That will only be an SMG if it's too good of a deal to pass up and only as long as it takes me to find the 6MT retro parts

Driven an auto a few times....something of a blessing when it's a hire car, you don't know where you are, you are suffering from jet lag and lastly, trying to concentrate on driving on the "wrong" side of the road. Otherwise not that impressed, except when I had to take her ladyship's BMWin to the dealership to have something technical done. They had messed up somewhat and didn't have a loan car available, so I got the dealership principle's car for the day (335i cabriolet) That was a revelation...almost imperceptible changes in normal driving (which is all I did, honest)

I like them both. I have been driving lovely MACK cab overs for a lot of years, and they do not have kinder gentler clutches. Especially if you are stuck in traffic. Granted you only need them for first, and reverse, but they do wear your left leg out if you have to use them a lot. My personal truck has an automatic, and is a 4x4. When I am not driving for work I like to be on semi-cruise control. I do though drive my friends Reo 6x6 though if the woods are snow packed, and muddy. It beats my truck any day for the nasty conditions.

I voted manual but they are different tools for different jobs. From now until the end of time my daily driver will be an auto, as well as a truck that I buy. The M3 that I buy on the other hand... That will only be an SMG if it's too good of a deal to pass up and only as long as it takes me to find the 6MT retro parts
From what I've seen and heard, the SMG was never regarded nearly as highly as the manual. Despite having paddles, it's slower in a straight line than a manual M3 (at least in E46 models), and single clutch automated transmissions in performance cars can eat up clutches in a HURRY (most F360s, F430s, Gallardos, etc with paddle shifters need a new clutch every couple thousand miles if they're driven hard at all).

I'm still under fifty so not old enough for automatic. Perhaps the next car....

Just went from manual to auto over the weekend. It's now easier to hold the coffee.

Just went from manual to auto over the weekend. It's now easier to hold the coffee.
Have you ever tried using cupholders? Of course, I don't use them either. Haha. I almost always bring a bottle of water with me whenever I go anywhere, and it fits perfectly in between the seat and the door panel.

Meh, that's what knees or cupholders are for ;)

LOL, you do learn to be very dexterous with manual. Slamming a hot cup of coffee back down to a cup holder without spillage requires mad skillzz :)

Cup holders are a breeze.

Downshift for a sharp turn while simultaneously hitting the old school high-beam dimmer switch (left side of floor, beside the clutch), while flicking cigarette ashes into the ash tray (three on the tree so you don't get the "forward" shift motion) and swatting at the mosquitoes and bee that have decided to fly into the window (no A/C). Add a young lady on the seat beside you (bench, not buckets) and all bets are off.

Edit: Of course this pig of a truck lacks power brakes and power steering. :D

From what I've seen and heard, the SMG was never regarded nearly as highly as the manual. Despite having paddles, it's slower in a straight line than a manual M3 (at least in E46 models), and single clutch automated transmissions in performance cars can eat up clutches in a HURRY (most F360s, F430s, Gallardos, etc with paddle shifters need a new clutch every couple thousand miles if they're driven hard at all).

The SMG equipped cars are faster around a race track and are pretty incredible when they are driven balls out. The problem they have, imo, is every day driving. I've driven a few SMG M5's (E60 chassis with newer version) around town and didn't like it. It never felt normal to me.

I would love to have a manual transmission sports car, but I have a paddle-shifting automatic that is really fun to drive!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back