Medium Format Anyone?

Mitica100 said:
Unless I misread you, there's no need for sarcasm here.

On the contrary, I think there's ample need for it in this case. You have an attitude displayed that "Oh, it's unprofessional to check your shot via the LCD display." That's simply ridiculous. That's like saying "I may buy a car with anti-lock brakes, but I wouldn't USE them." If you prefer film over digital, that's fine...that's why they make both. But mocking others for making sensible use of the features of the camera they chose isn't a difference of opinion, it's a character failure.

RikWriter said:
On the contrary, I think there's ample need for it in this case. You have an attitude displayed that "Oh, it's unprofessional to check your shot via the LCD display." That's simply ridiculous. That's like saying "I may buy a car with anti-lock brakes, but I wouldn't USE them." If you prefer film over digital, that's fine...that's why they make both. But mocking others for making sensible use of the features of the camera they chose isn't a difference of opinion, it's a character failure.

There is not any need for sarcasm. Simply because you don't believe the same as Dave is no grounds for attacking his view. You know the old saying, opinions are like a**holes...

photogoddess said:
I can't speak for the pros but I rarely look at the lcd on my 10D. It's nice to make sure you nabbed the shot but even when I shoot film, I can pretty much "feel" whether I got the shot that I needed or not. With digital, looking at the lcd only confirms composition. You can't rely on it for exposure or focus.

Well... I think of myself as a "pro." I bought my first digital camera about two years ago. A 10D. I haven't bought much film since.

I wouldn't dream of walking away from a shot without looking at my LCD in "info mode." I agree the LCD is pretty useless for much of anything else. It does help me remember which shots I've made. But that little histogram is essential. I don't think I could use a digital camera without one.

I don't see how this is any different than checking the shutter operation between rolls with my film cameras. It's not so much a crutch as it is a confirmation. It's there and available to me. I think it would be a bit reckless of me to ignore it.

-Pete

RikWriter said:
strange...

i shot with a professional 120 camera always changing the back , for checking the result

hobbes28 said:
There is not any need for sarcasm. Simply because you don't believe the same as Dave is no grounds for attacking his view. You know the old saying, opinions are like a**holes...

Yes, there is a need. And when someone voices an opinion that disparages others, THEY are the ones doing the attacking.

westman said:
strange...

i shot with a professional 120 camera always changing the back , for checking the result

Nothing strange about it. That's the sensible thing to do.

RikWriter, I'm not sure why you chose to get your back up over this, since no one was making a direct attack on you, and hopefully you'll put the comments in proper context and drop it.

Before digital, there were Polaroids, and they were used in the same way, for a quick check of lighting and composition -that's what pros and amateurs alike had at their disposal for an "instant" check, so that's what was used. It's been done for years and shouldn't be taken as an indication the photographer has no confidence. When costly setups were arranged and people were waiting, it made sense to double check everything.

This thread is about MF and who uses it. Let's not digress into a boring digital-bashing conversation.

I heart MF!! It's my fav. I use a Rolleiflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar, and a Holga...and I'm trying to get a Pentacon Six as soon as possible.

terri said:
RikWriter, I'm not sure why you chose to get your back up over this, since no one was making a direct attack on you, and hopefully you'll put the comments in proper context and drop it.

First of all, I don't "have my back up over it." If people would stop criticizing me for commenting on it, I wouldn't still be talking about it. I think you are the one that needs to take MY comments in context and drop it.

I have a Yashicamat 124G. I shot some pictures of my wife (fiance then) and was incredibly pleased. I blew them up to 16 x 20 and displayed them at the reception. They turned out great. I love MF!!

RikWriter said:
First of all, I don't "have my back up over it." If people would stop criticizing me for commenting on it, I wouldn't still be talking about it. I think you are the one that needs to take MY comments in context and drop it.
Why, pardon me for pointing out the obvious. If you can't play nicely, please leave the playground.

RW, it was you that attacked Dave at first. We just reacted to that.

If you are looking for a 'fight' forum this is not it. This forum, at least the last time I looked, was intended for opinions, ideas, honest critique and so on. If you have the inclination to do the above, enjoy the forum. If not...

Peace.

Mitica100 said:
RW, it was you that attacked Dave at first. We just reacted to that.

No, actually it was me that used sarcasm to comment on Dave's assertion. That is only an "attack" in such a broad definition of the term as to make it meaningless. Criticizing someone's statement isn't attacking them personally. Perhaps some here should try to understand that. Dave's assertion, on the other hand, was an attack of PEOPLE, not of opinions, yet strangely no one seems to have a probem with it.

terri said:
Why, pardon me for pointing out the obvious. If you can't play nicely, please leave the playground.

I wasn't aware that disagreeing with someone was not "being nice." Is it necessary to agree with every statement made, in your opinion, to avoid the possibility of offending someone? Is that how you believe life works?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back