Medium format macro

The bellows is built in. Most pictures don't show it, because most pictures show the body focused at or near infinity.

The manual suggests that the bellows extends 46 mm, or a little less than two inches. With the 110 this gets you to about 1.5:1 or thereabouts (that is, something 1 and a half inches long will appear 1 inch long on the negative, assuming I am doing the math right).

ETA: Of course I was not. It's more like 2.5 to 1. So, not very macro at all, with the 110. Close, but not macro-land, really.

Last edited:
Not sure if it will help or if it's overkill, but I found this chart of Mamiya RZ lenses:
Photo Notes Main Page

I was looking to see if the lens I have would be compatible with the RZ. I've got a 645 ProTL with two lenses, including a 120mm f4 macro. It's a nice lens but I know you like the 6x6 and I didn't know if that lens would fit on an RZ. I'm still not sure to be honest. I got as far as the chart and then that was too much gear talk for me :er:

Actually CHECKING my RZ with the 110, fully racked out, the waist-level finder's guides indicates a field of view about 5 inches by 6 inches, roughly.

Will you be doing macro in the field or studio/in home?

The reason I ask is that the RB/RZ67s are a bit clunky to hand hold at an angle and then still enough to do macro. It's not so much taking the shot that this comes into play but in composing- you can take hand held shots easily.

There is a handle for them that works well along with a prism finder (or the waist level finder I suppose it's that I never use it with the WLF). If you go with the RB/Zs go ahead and get a metered finder, you can thank me later ;).

Putting it on a tripod won't be a big deal - I think that will work fine for me. In 35mm, I almost always use a tripod for macro stuff too.

Holy crap your S/N changed. Anyway, from what I know about this, any way you go, you'll love it. I gotta really give my extension tube a workout. Mamiya seems to make pretty damn good stuff.

I think you need extension tubes and the bellows to achieve 1-1 mag on an RB.
I've seen this set up with a 140 lens, dunno about the 110 but its a precarious contraption to maneuver whatever..:)

Take a look at Pentax 645 (or 645N if knobs and AF are your thing) with the 120mm f/4 Macro (it has 1:1)

The bellows is an integral part of all RB and RZ camera bodies. If you shop on E-bay, look for lens offerings for whichever body you have (different mounts for RB, RZ, and the 4.5 x6). If the term "macro" is on the lens, then you have a true macro lens (this is NOT true if you get a zoom lens). The only advantage a macro lens gives you (and this is true for any camera system) is that you can be physically closer to the subject and still achieve a sharp focus. A non-macro lens of the same focal length cannot be physically as close. Otherwise, they are the same. So ... if you have the need to be physically closer, get a macro lens. Otherwise just use a longer focal length lens and shoot from farther away. The results will look the same. If you have either a RB or RZ, mount whatever lens you have and focus on a non-moving object that is about 5 ft. away while using a tripod. Rack the bellows all the way out and then move your tripod (with camera attached) closer or farther away until focus returns. That will demonstrate how much the bellows can alter the view.

Most reactions

Back