Photos OK to edit
What do you think?

1)
3242534448_4f4ea8b117_o.jpg

2)
3241701625_3038ee9a83_o.jpg

3)
3232244568_5cd8eabd23_o.jpg

Nice! But if I should be picky I would prefer the focus to be set on the eyes.

Beautiful model.

I think number 1 would be much better if you moved more over to your left. This way you wouldn't be shooting up her skirt so much and would probably make her seem a bit longer legged. Plus this would make her have to turn her head more directly towards the camera making the whole shot much more appealing in my opinion.

There is a lot of perspective distortion in one and two.

You're signature says its OK to edit your photos so I did a quick edit on number three. If you would like me to take it down I will.

3232244568_5cd8eabd23_o_pp.jpg

I agree that she looks very distorted. The angles make her seem very large.

Agreed on the angle making her look "big." Also, when you light her, aim to get only one, nice, large catchlight in her eyes. The catchlights that are there now remind me of school-portraits. In fact, do some experimenting with only one light, if you feel that's not enough, use a reflector for fill. I feel like there may be too many light sources for this shoot.

Nice! But if I should be picky I would prefer the focus to be set on the eyes.

Ya for some reason the eye looks a little soft on the head shot. Thanks, silversprej. :D

Not sure I like the pose in #1, but I do like the lighting in all three

Number one really breaks all the rules and that's why I like it. The horizon is crooked, wide angle distortion makes her legs and feet look huge, and there is a view under the skirt that is not really my style. Still, this girl is a plus size model and I tried to focus on what I thought was her best feature, her legs. And I think this really does a good job of pulling the eyes to the legs. Thanks for the comment Captain IK.

Beautiful model.

I think number 1 would be much better if you moved more over to your left. This way you wouldn't be shooting up her skirt so much and would probably make her seem a bit longer legged. Plus this would make her have to turn her head more directly towards the camera making the whole shot much more appealing in my opinion.

Thanks dizzyg44.

There is a lot of perspective distortion in one and two.

You're signature says its OK to edit your photos so I did a quick edit on number three. If you would like me to take it down I will.

3232244568_5cd8eabd23_o_pp.jpg

I like this, you managed to keep detail in the cheek without looking too shopped, well done.

I agree that she looks very distorted. The angles make her seem very large.

Thanks for the comment ATXshots.

Agreed on the angle making her look "big." Also, when you light her, aim to get only one, nice, large catchlight in her eyes. The catchlights that are there now remind me of school-portraits. In fact, do some experimenting with only one light, if you feel that's not enough, use a reflector for fill. I feel like there may be too many light sources for this shoot.

I've been experimenting with different light set ups for a while and I agree that one light can be very pleasing but I was going for something different here. Usually with school portraits the catch lights are at the top of the eye on the left and right (I've done school portraits for years), so I'm not really seeing the comparison. I've also tried the reflector fill many different ways and it isn't always very practical but I know there is a better way out there and I'll find it eventually. Thanks for the comment Double H. :D

The problem with number one, and to a lessor extent number two is that you used a lens with too short of a focal length, causing her legs and feet to look too large and out of proportion. A longer focal length would foreshorten the image and bring things in to a more realistic relationship. I see this often in beginners with zoom lens. Even pros fall into this trap. I have a picture of one of my Daughter in laws with her new baby, and her right arm looks like Popeye's. you maybe too young to know who Popeye is) The problem arises imho from using the zoom to crop the image, without thinking about the result. If you use a fairly long FL, like a 135 in 33mm and move the camera to get the image you want, it looks better. Your eye and mind will correct what you see through the viewfinder,somewhat, to what you would expect to see, but, it will not correct what is on the print. Funny about that. Number three is much better, and great with the acne scars edited out, not that she is not very pretty. Retouching is a part of portraiture.
That's my story and you are welcome to it.
Judge Sharpe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back