Moon with 70-200 C&C

there is a guide somewhere on here for moon photography. Try aperture at f/8 and shutter speed at 1/250

Ok, at the risk of getting torn a new one for not having finished the manual completely (come on, its over a hundred pages lol), what setting are you using? Becuase when I am in apeture priority it wont let me select shutter speed and in manual idk how to set apeture, any help?

Not sure if you're asking me or the OP, but I was in manual, I know for my xsi you have to hold the AV button +- button then turn the wheel to change the aperture when in manual, I assume its the same for the XTI.

I'll tell you what, Live View rocks.

I set my camera to ISO 100, got the camera aligned with the moon with Live View, zoomed in one stop, hit the focus button, then started clicking the shutter speed down from where the light meter said I needed to be until the moon looked perfect in Live View. In two shots I had the picture I wanted (both times).

Absolutely fantastic.

The more I use my 50D the more I love it. Being able to zoom in with Live View is just too freaking cool. :thumbup:

I'll tell you what, Live View rocks.

I set my camera to ISO 100, got the camera aligned with the moon with Live View, zoomed in one stop, hit the focus button, then started clicking the shutter speed down from where the light meter said I needed to be until the moon looked perfect in Live View. In two shots I had the picture I wanted (both times).

Absolutely fantastic.

The more I use my 50D the more I love it. Being able to zoom in with Live View is just too freaking cool. :thumbup:

I couldn't agree more. I never would have gotten the right focus if it wasn't for live view.

Yea, LV is something I wish i had, your shots are great. What WB are you guys set at?

I had mine set to AWB.

Here we go, MASSIVE crop... it has to be like 150%. :)

IMG_4913-2.jpg

Ah, must be my cheapo lens...wish I had enough money for some quality glass. Soon enough haha =]

Hehe, wanna see something funny? Here's the original right out of the camera. Those 15 megapixels hard at work. :D

IMG_4913-3.jpg

there is a guide somewhere on here for moon photography. Try aperture at f/8 and shutter speed at 1/250

Yes, that would be my guide. Posted Here. I still haven't quite decided how proactive I should be about pointing it out unless people ask for specific or general moon photographing device.

Gotta say that photo on that link is a great big lie. Those of you in Hawai'i, Alaska, Australia, and East/Mid Asia who can see it at 14:38 GMT (it'll have set here in Colorado, despite what the diagram implies), you will likely see a visible darkening of the upper edge of the moon around the 11:00 position. You may see a hint of red.

But overall, the moon will simply look darker than usual. The two photos at that link (which aren't great to begin with) are during totality of an umbral eclipse (left) and during a partial umbral eclipse, not a partial penumbral eclipse. Wikipedia has a mediocre explanation of those terms here if you're not familiar with them.

We're not going to see a red moon until just before Christmas (Dec. 21) of 2010.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back