More moon pics

yamadak13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally replaced my D70s with a D80. It has been a while since I had the D70 and I can't believe how much I've forgotten, or never knew. I am using a Nikkor 70-300 with the VR off since I'm shooting from a tripod. I was really hoping to get more detail shooting the moon. Is this a pretty normal picture for the equipment I'm using, or should I be able to get better shots?

I have these stored in PhotoBucket. What is the best way to post a picture for viewing where you can see the larger size? I have no experience with altering or PP so if you have any suggestions there too, please feel free to point things out.

Moon2.jpg

Moon1.jpg

Last edited:
While I can't give you any answers to your questions on the technicality of the photos (I don't know the Nikkor lens, either, and how it performs), all I can say is that even at 300mm you usually get only a small moon into your frame and have to hope for utter sharpness to produce a pleasing crop.

This said, I do like the first because it is a little different with the silhouetted tree in front of the moon. Actually, it is that little detail that makes this moon photo attractive to me. More so than the crop (I assume it is one) which tries to show more detail, but doesn't to the extent you were hoping for (overexposed, I think).

But the first ... just waits for an owl to also fly past the moon in that moment... ;)!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back