Move from d7200 to d500

thanks guys for all the messages, well wildlife is my passion even though i still suck at it lol, I also assist a wedding photographer every now and then and up to now have not had any problems because when we need the extra light the flash gets out the bag, the only downside i have had is for group shots my 24-70 isn't always wide enough if i can't stand back far enough and when I'm doing newborn shoots my 50mm is to narrow maybe i just need a 35mm to make up for that... i would really love the extra noise performance not only for weddings but also for my wildlife..

i have rented a d750 for a day and to me it was not a wow camera and actually preferred my d7200 thats why i was thinking d800..
Well have you considered a d600 or d610 instead? Control layout is pretty much identical to your 7200 which is nice when switching between cameras, cost wise your looking at a huge savings and they do a really great job in low light. You can pickup the d600s for a ridiculously low investment because of all the bad press they got, I found one that had the shutter replaced by Nikon under the shutter replacement program that only had 500 clicks on the new shutter and only paid like $775 for it.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Ok you guys got me thinking and I don't really need a d500 as my d7200 should be able to do most of what I want to with it except for the frame rate, I have recently started with people photography to fund my photo gear with. And was thinking maybe I should get a full frame camera.. Between the d610 and d750 I am not sure which will fit me better and do the better job also what will fx actually bring to the table only a little low light performance than my apsc or am I looking at things the wrong way thanks guys

Well If I was looking at the D750 I would not be looking at the D610 and If I was looking at the D610 I would search for a refurbished or a clean used D600 Instead at bargain prices.

I only lived the full frame experience less then a year when I was shooting a Canon 6D and the ISO low noise was incredible vs the Canon Crop sensor body like the Canon 60D, but what I remember most was the beautiful large bright viewfinder.If anything, I really think you will appreciate the much larger view especially if your eye site is less then perfect or wear glasses.

Last edited:
The biggest difference in the 7200 and the 500 isn't the frame rate, or the sensor size, it's the processor, version 4 vs. 5, the focus points and the xqd card slot.

The biggest difference in the 7200 and the 500 isn't the frame rate, or the sensor size, it's the processor, version 4 vs. 5, the focus points and the xqd card slot.
and the buffer.

and the AF module (beyond just the points--its ability to focus in low-light and across the entire viewfinder).

and the better construction.

and the ISO handling.

and the 4K video.

and the tilting screen.

and the BT/NFC syncing.

and the ability to use the WR-R10 to radio control a SB-5000 flash.

No but it can Djent

and the buffer.

and the AF module (beyond just the points--its ability to focus in low-light and across the entire viewfinder).

and the ISO handling.

and the 4K video.

and the tilting screen.

and the BT/NFC syncing.

You are preaching to the choir. I was listing the things that made the biggest difference to me, not listing every difference. lol Besides, you missed a few as well if you want to go down that road. Touchscreen, camera dimensions, UHS bus etc. etc.
Those to me are not the biggest differences though, so I omitted them. The XQD, focus points(and sensitivity) and processor are the big things that stand out to me. Other things might matter more to you based on how you use a camera but I can't and don't want to try to list what matters to other people, just my own experience with it.

and the buffer.

and the ISO handling.

and the 4K video.

and the tilting screen.

and the BT/NFC syncing.

You are preaching to the choir. I was listing the things that made the biggest difference to me, not listing every difference. lol Besides, you missed a few as well if you want to go down that road. Touchscreen, camera dimensions, UHS bus etc. etc.
Those to me are not the biggest differences though, so I omitted them. The XQD, focus points(and sensitivity) and processor are the big things that stand out to me. Other things might matter more to you based on how you use a camera but I can't and don't want to try to list what matters to other people, just my own experience with it.
Which has always bugged me really. I mean think about it, if the choir really hates being preached to that much why do they keep showing up?

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

:) I don't think it means they hate being preached to, I think it means they have heard all the sermons before.

Lol I have never used more than a single focus point so 153 doesn't bother me one bit

Out of 51 focus points I use the 1 center point almost always and In AF-C while using Back button focus.The only time I will switch Is If I am having trouble with a tiny bird In flight then it gets 21 but rarely.I don't need the camera to select the point for me,I only need the camera to nail focus.

Last edited:
Out of 51 focus points I use the 1 center point almost always and In AF-C while using Back button focus.The only time I will switch Is If I am having trouble with a tiny bird In flight then it gets 21 but rarely.I don't need the camera to select the point for me,I only need the camera to nail focus.
It definitely does that better than previous cameras.

hi guys, has anyone made the move from the d7200 to the d500... Is it worth it or is it just the extra 4 frames and the buffer that make a difference, how much better is the low light as well. I'm thinking of either getting a d800 as a extra body or getting rid of the d7200 and getting a d500... Thanks guys
I think the D500 looks better than the D7200 and thus it's a better camera.

Most reactions

Back