Moving Motorcycle Photo Help....

Reaction score
Okay,

I have been taking alot of motorcycle photographs lately, and have started a journey into which I want to become a bit more creative with my shooting this particular genre. I want to do some shots of individuals riding their bikes, both from beside them and in front of them.... perferably while I'm riding my bike :) Now I was curious if there was some sort of tripod, or dolly set up that could be used to reduce vibration that meets my camera while I am also traveling, allowing me to use some slower shutter speeds without getting camera shake??? Any ideas???

I can't imagine anything reducing that amount of vibration effectively, especially not for anything near "slow" shutter speeds. I think your best bet is going to be whatever you can find or rig up to mount the camera, and a VR (IS, OS, VC, whatever you want to call it) lens. You might look into the camera mounts that attach to the gas cap as one option.

I would imagine that, unless you are a passenger, taking pics from a bike would end in bad news.

I do not see how this is possible. Riding with one hand is ok, but in order to properly use a dslr pic, you'll need too.

Also, if you rig something on your bike, you'll just be taking random shots. It'll be cool if you can pull it off though!

A Gorillapod might be your best bet. But I'm not sure you'd be able to get the camera still enough for a good picture even with IS.

You'd probably have to set up the gorillapod with a wireless shutter release and mount your flash. The thing is I wouldn't take it going very fast.

You'll need a pickup truck or a convertible, a driver and a VR or IS lens.

If you try this while operating a motorcycle you'll need either a hospital or a morgue.

There are a lot of good reasons to die but photography is not one of them.

Not to cause controversy, but.. i've taken photos from the bike before.. you dont need two hands to do it, and theres honestly nothing wrong with taking one hand off the grip to do it. as long as you're not in traffic, or in the twisties.. its totally possible.

a lens with IR/VR is kindof needed, but not a requirement.. I keep my camera in my tankbag.. and pull it out with my left hand, holding it kindof backward, around the lens.. which allows me to use the shutter button.. the key however, is being able to compose your shot without taking your eyes off the road. if you cant do that, dont try. I also wouldnt suggest this if you're a relatively new rider..

heres one of the few i've taken.. i'd suggest a lens wider than 28mm also
IMG_4713.jpg

Your safest bet would be slow speed shots on foot!

I have shot with a P&S from a bike, and I find it a pain!

If you use a slow shutter speed with panning and a rider moving just above walking/jogging speed you can get a nice blurred effect and both rider and photog are safe!

Cheers

As a photographer and a motorcyclist I strongly advise against shooting from your bike.
Something will suffer, your riding, your photography, or you..

I thought pick up truck originally (but there are legal issues in having a passenger in the bed) so I would agree with the above suggestion to shoot from a convertible, preferably with the top down.

With someone else doing the driving you will be able to concentrate on composition.
Use a setting that allows a shutter speed of 1/250th at a minimum since a blurred pic is not much use in motorcycle photography.

HTH, Thomas (Yamaha TDM850D and Nikon D500 DSLR)

I thought pick up truck originally (but there are legal issues in having a passenger in the bed)

Depending on where you live. It's perfectly have passengers in the bed of a truck on certain roads around here.

But no offense to the guy saying it's not hard to shoot and ride; the picture you posted sucks. I mean, the rider himself is barely even in the frame, let alone most of the bike.

Not to cause controversy, but.. i've taken photos from the bike before.. you dont need two hands to do it, and theres honestly nothing wrong with taking one hand off the grip to do it. as long as you're not in traffic, or in the twisties.. its totally possible.

As another motorcyclist.... Are you out of your mind?? Nothing Wrong??
I'd love to tell you what I really think, but I'm not looking at getting banned....

To the OP, even if you figure out an effective way to attach a rig to your bike, you then have the challenges of composition and vibration. I would difinitely agree with others here of being a rider in another vehicle for this venture.

Taking one or both hands off the bars really isn't that big of an issue. Taking your eyes off what's in front of you is a huge issue.

Taking one or both hands off the bars really isn't that big of an issue. Taking your eyes off what's in front of you is a huge issue.

And this is the real issue. What's one of the most basic things they teach in the MSF? You go where you look. Why do you think they try and pound it through your head at the MSF course and any beginner track days that you're supposed to look through the turn and not watch the bike infront of you.

I've seen plenty of people go down because of target fixation.

To village idiot, i know my img sucks, it was just a simple example that you can shoot from the motorcycle..

To the other guy who wants to tell me whats on his mind, I understand how you feel, and like i said.. i DIDNT want to cause controversy, it's not going to change my thoughts on shooting from the motorcycle.

To the OP.. i'd suggest checking out this thread..
! may be going to hell in a bucket, - ADVrider
He shoots a 5D from his motorcycle, and.. the results are phenomenal

Most reactions

Back