Moving sub

I think too much is often made of having a blurry background. Even if not completely in focus, the background is still part of the shot and needs to be considered, especially with a subject fairly close to the background. The background's going to be part of the composition whether it's a little more or less in/out focus.

It's necessary to consider where you place the subject as well as the vantage point. I love the idea of using her reflection as a background, and all the leafy green is nice. Great idea. The top is where you're getting a yellowish horizontal line from the reflection of a ceiling light against a plain ceiling. If you can't adjust your vantage point any higher or lower (I'm guessing this was in a rather tight space), think about where you want that yellow line to be so it's less noticeable or how it can work into the composition.

I notice a tree trunk close to one of the vertical white posts to the left; that might have been better not right along the white post so another line isn't created there. The dancer's reflection is bisected by a white line; I'd think about that when you set up, where you want a subject in relation to the background (not being there of course, I don't know if there was another option). It's necessary to move yourself, change/adjust your vantage point when you're framing shots.

You probably would do better with a sharper lens; you could try KEH, and I've bought used from Adorama too. I'd suggest that you get in a lot more practice and learning, particularly shooting in more tricky light, before you get any further with licensing/usage, etc. And learn that too, try American Society of Media Photographers or PPA. To be successful I think it helps to get to the point that you know what to do without having to think too much about it - because you just know what to do.

edit - Oh, and I focus manually, because that's how I learned and I know how to do it; there isn't a right or wrong but what works for you. I'd probably focus where she's standing and reframe before she jumps. I'd set the aperture not too wide open to allow for all of her to be in focus as she jumps, she might end up slightly off the point where she was standing. Or I often focus on a still object at the point where the subject will be. Maybe put a piece of color tape or something on the floor? or sit a cone there? if that helps.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back