multiple exposure

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by Skyeg, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Skyeg

Skyeg TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    how to multiple exposures work? when u expose a frame more then once what do you have to take into account?

2. Skyeg

Skyeg TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    oops i put this in the wronge place, is ther ea way to move it?

3. drlynn

drlynn TPF Noob!

When you're gonna do multiple exposures, you have to take into account the total amount of light needed to make a "proper exposure."

For example, say your meter tells you that a proper exposure for a certain scene is 1/500 at f/8. The total exposure for the frame shouldn't exceed this, or your photo will be overexposed. so for a double exposure, you'd need to set your camera to 1/1000 at f/8 and shoot twice.

It helps to think of a frame of film as a bucket and light as water. Each frame will only "hold" so much light. This is why it is SO important to have a good grasp of how film speed, f/stop and shutterspeed interrelate to make an exposure.

/edit to recommend a book by Bryan Peterson called Understanding Exposure. He does a great job of explaining the whole concept of the realtionship of shutterspeed, f/stop and film speed. His approach is very readable and easy to understand.

4. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'll second that. I think all his books have good stuff in them.

5. drlynn

drlynn TPF Noob!

He actually teaches a couple of classes online. I think the place is betterphoto.com or something close. I have it bookmarked at home. I'd really like to take the one based on Understanding Exposure if I can find the time and $$.