My D3200 dropped and the viewfinder turned blurry

Yes. If you remove the lens and turn the camera upside down you'll see the screen and retaining wire. It's fragile. Take great care not to get the focusing screen dirty. It's a bear to clean w/o damage.

I have taken out the wire. The Squared glass popped and then I put it back, and it's all the same. Didn't work...

Sounds like time for a professional repairman to work on it.

I think so. I'm affraid that the warranty doesn't cover this.... (Sorry about my english)

I haven't found much good info on this topic, and this forum seems to have the most recent posts, so here's what I have figured out. Anyone else find anything similar?

I've just purchased my first DSLR the other day (from Craigslist, so I don't know the history of the camera), but the viewfinder has been blurry and the diopter adjustment does nothing when turned. I've been having trouble finding any info on this online, but did find one helpful comment on a D5100 teardown article about fixing the diopter.

Nikon D5100 Teardown - iFixit

Anyhow, I opened up the camera to see what I could find. In the photos I uploaded, you can see a spring to the right of the viewfinder. This is the spring attached to the diopter lens that should be adjusted as the diopter knob is turned.

It's a little tough to see in the photos, but I think one of two things may be wrong:

1. The clear plastic part at the front attached to the spring (where the diopter is attached) may have a small plastic part broken off that is supposed to meet the diopter adjustment. It's hard to tell, though.

2. The diopter adjustment knob and the diopter/spring assembly need to be re-adjusted/re-seated so that they are able to move the diopter lens properly. I have been completely unsuccessful at getting this done, so I may check with a qualified repair shop.

If the shop says that nothing can be done, or that it will be absurdly expensive to fix, my next course of action is to semi-permanently fix the diopter by fitting a length of wire sheathing over the post that the spring rides on to hold the diopter lens at the proper position. It'll mean that the diopter cannot be adjusted without opening the camera again, but so long as it works for me, I'll be happy.

Sorry for the long windedness, but there's such a lack of good info on this topic, I wanted to get my experiences out there. I'll keep the thread updated with progress if there is any interest.

Attachments

• IMG_2176.JPG
    IMG_2176.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 716
  • IMG_2177.JPG
    IMG_2177.JPG
    937.8 KB · Views: 720
So to follow up (I guess people have been viewing the photos, so there must have been some interest), I ended up fitting a piece of tubing over the post the spring rides on to semi-permanently affix the viewfinder lens in place. Basically, I measured how far I needed to move it to see clearly and cut a length of tubing, then slit it lengthwise so I could slip it over the post while pushing the spring forward. Can't seem to find my photos of the fix, but it works like a charm, so long as I have my contacts in :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back