My first real "photo shoot" 12pix

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I doing this for this website
I'm the "official photographer" For The Lord's child and right now we are using a purchased picture as our main girl. We want to use our own so I took a couple of girls to a covered bridge and took their pictures. This is my very first time shooting people, but I want your honest no holds barred opinions. There are lots more but these are just the ones I edited to be looked at first for the web site

TLCGirl11BW.jpg

TLCGirl11.jpg

TLCGirl8BW.jpg

TLCGirl8.jpg

TLCGirl7BW.jpg

TLCGirl6BW.jpg

TLCGirl6.jpg

TLCGirl5.jpg

TLCGirl3BW.jpg

TLCGirl3.jpg

TLCGirl4BW.jpg

TLCGirl14.jpg

We'll 8 9 10 and 11 the direct sun is too harsh, next time you should flag that off. Those same pictures could have benefited from a reflector bouncing light (filling) onto the face. Also the eyes (and the subject herself) seem to be very soft (OOF) so maybe watch your focus alil more. These seem alot like snapshots, but little tweaks would make them great. I would also remove the bags or deep pits from under her eyes (idk which it is) in PS, and allot more retouching but your heading in the right direction. Also watch your exposure and check your histograms the next time you head out and shoot.

TLCGirl8BW.jpg
here is a quick edit I did let me know what you think.

Are you going for poor/sad/poverty stricken/angry/about face their abuser in court/children of the corn?

I think you may be going for sad kid look but I really am not believing these girls. It looks like they were asked to think about their cat that died. I am just not feeling it.

Besides that you have chin shadows, blown out areas. I kind of like the 2 girls comp. but would like it better with a greater dof, so she isnt so blurry.

can you tell us more about the org and the feeling you are going for (ie the same org might put up sad photos when asking for donations but may use happy children when talking about the sucesses or when reaching out to families in need)

TLCGirl8.jpg
Here is another edit, this time the color one

The middle ones are what I think you're going for. The first few and last few look like you're doing a test for the star of the next Exorcist sequel.

this girl kind of reminds me of the young Jenny in Forest Gump... Neone else think so?

yeah very much so. she's a beautiful little kid!

i like the edits a lot returnofa

I dont care for the edits, they make her face look like a barbie doll...although the original photos look like they were edited to have sunken eyes?

well, I'm not sure if anybody looked at the website but the girl at the top of the homepage is what I am expected to replace. I am going for the sad look, however when I did the touch up on these I don't remember them looking baggy in the eyes, at least as bad as they appear here....oh well, it is my first people shoot and I'm here to learn.

Great photos, very intense!

returnofa5i, how did you do the eyes in your edit?!

I'm assuming these photos have the purpose of creating empathy? If so, they do a good job, but some of them are more creepy than sad. They do this look in Hollywood a lot to scare people (the straight-faced blonde girl in the creepy part of the movie). So you'll kind of have to compete with that stereotype when you shoot.

I like 5, 9, and 10. They have the most vulnerable looks, IMO, which really pushes the empathy card open, and helps people want to give money to your worthwhile cause.

Agreed, and "the children of the corn" comes to mind.

the title "help end child abuse" also comes to mind

But at the same time, the very famous portraits done by Sally Mann of her own kids comes to mind when I look at 3 and 6, only these kids are clothed

Regardles, you got what you were going for, Id leave out the creepier ones

Most reactions

Back