My first "studio"

Better out of the box, yes. But if you have a little soldering capabilities and mod the V2s, they are much better than the V4s.

Out of the box, the V2s get about 30 feet. Out of the box the V4 get 100 feet. Modded V2s get 350+ feet.

2680526333_8f9d0b52cb.jpg

2680526375_75617b5301.jpg

How to mod them HERE. No matter what, though... the batteries that they come with are CRAP. Replace them immediately for best results. Mine lasted about 10 shots... then died. Others report the same thing all the time. The batteries that they come with are enough to testand then... nothing.

Last edited:
I don't know if a d50 has commander mode, but you can use ur pop up flash to set off the sb600.

if you use a pop up, isn't that kind of defeating the purpose of using off camera? Or is there some trick I don't know about?

there is a trick. But the d50 cannot command strobes. Also Im not getting a SB-600 and my D2H is my main camera which dosen't have a built in flash anyways.

if you use a pop up, isn't that kind of defeating the purpose of using off camera? Or is there some trick I don't know about?
Yes, your camera can set off you sb 600/800 with a pre-flash. Only thing is it doesn't work in bright sunlight.

I don't know if a d50 has commander mode, but you can use ur pop up flash to set off the sb600.

Not without a commander mode. The SB-600 has NO internal slave. The ONLY 2 ways to set off a SB-600 are via CLS or external receiver like a PW or Cactus or external Wein optical slave.

ordered what jerry recommended today. Hope I can get the cactus modified when I get it.

BTW anyone know how old you have to be to be singed up as a photographer on MM?

Yes... 35 years old minimum... lol.

I do not think age is a factor for signing up, but I *do* think age becomes a huge factor when trying to get a model to stand in front of you (not many 25 year old models want to stand in front of a teen). I'm a member there, and honestly, I would skip it. I get TONS more action from a local strobist group even when age is not a factor.

For every 1 model I get from there (when they even decide to show), I get between 50-60 from the local strobist group. Besides that... before shooting models, it would be wise to just learn the basics first anyways!

Did the battery mod on the cactus today. Even tho the 2AA holder I got from RS doesn't have an on/off switch, it works perfectly with the regular on/off switch. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back