My Personal Weather Station (my other hobby)

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've always been interested in the weather, took earth space science classes in school and aced them. I never thought about getting my own weather station until a couple weeks ago. I figured it was time to have another hobby beside photography. Ordered a AcuRite 5 in 1 pro weather station from Amazon for $200, but only paid $40 thanks to a generous gift card! Couldn't resist it. Wanted a Davis Vantage Pro 2, but them boys are $500-700. I need that extra money for lenses!!

I wrote a long post about it on my website and wanted to share it with you guys. I'm just having fun with it..really love kind of stuff.

Nicholas Erwin My Personal Weather Station

Do any of you have your own weather station?

DSC_4278.jpg

Nice work on setting all that up. I have installed a few weather stations for people. Some Davis and Campbell units.
WS 003t.jpg

Wow thats just a bit more sophisticated than mine, lol.

It's pretty advanced but I think you guys can figure it out.

weatherforecastingstone.jpg

Enjoyed your blog write-up Nerwin, good job on improving the data acquisition time. This station is not much different from yours, probably just easier to customize with different sensors and programming the datalogger.

Thanks! I'm almost thinking 5 seconds is too short. But I'm not sure. Joined a WX forum to get help on the best way to setup Meteobridge for Acurite sensors so I can get the best out of it. There is a PWS probably 1.5 miles from me, but his is a Davis Vantage Pro 2 and 400ft higher in elevation and for all I know, its 20ft above the ground and above trees and everything. But so jealous how much better his graphs look on Weather Underground, they're so clean and mine are all over the place! But his station is alot more expensive and higher end than mine. So that could probably explain why. Wind and the wind direction only seem to be off, everything else is pretty spot on. Acurite sensor doesn't really pick up wind gusts, but from what I know the Meteobridge taking the peak wind speed within that 18 second data collection or its making a calculated guess.

This is my graph from yesterday, it was very windy..so good day for testing!

Capture.PNG

Here's the graph yesterday from the station a mile or two from me. Keep in mind his is 400ft higher than mine in elevation and his station might be 20ft higher off the ground.

Capture2.PNG

I mean there are similarities for sure. But I mean my weather station that I got for cheap compared to a $500-700 station..I think its pretty good. Its not a huge deal, but its something fun to do and makes people look. Haha.

It's pretty advanced but I think you guys can figure it out.

weatherforecastingstone.jpg
Nerwin : I have to admit i don't quite "get" the thread i usually just punch up the weather online or on tv, phone alert, something. Sounds interesting though. Interesting hobby you have.
And THIS ^^^^PIC gave me a laugh. Where did you get this Runnah?

I got this thing I put together in my basement, is it necessary? Probably not, but its fun and interesting to me. I like showing it off to people when they visit and most of say them they don't know what they are looking at. Haha. I went to school for computer networking, so I can't not have this. I like my technology. (I might be a little crazy).

DSC_4421.jpg

Last edited:
I've always been interested in the weather, took earth space science classes in school and aced them. I never thought about getting my own weather station until a couple weeks ago. I figured it was time to have another hobby beside photography. Ordered a AcuRite 5 in 1 pro weather station from Amazon for $200, but only paid $40 thanks to a generous gift card! Couldn't resist it. Wanted a Davis Vantage Pro 2, but them boys are $500-700. I need that extra money for lenses!!

I wrote a long post about it on my website and wanted to share it with you guys. I'm just having fun with it..really love kind of stuff.

DSC_4278.jpg
That's awesome. I want a station like this so badly, but the HOA won't allow it. So, I have to have the little one with just temperature and humidity.

Both stations look fairly consistent with one another. I don't know too much about the systems and the data behind it, but is yours being lower to the ground the reason for all of the outliers compared to the station that's higher off the ground?

ETA: In other words, do you see more consistent data if the station is higher off the ground? If it's lower, I'm assuming buildings/trees/other obstacles will have some effect on the readings?

Last edited:

DSC_4278.jpg
That's awesome. I want a station like this so badly, but the HOA won't allow it. So, I have to have the little one with just temperature and humidity.

Both stations look fairly consistent with one another. I don't know too much about the systems and the data behind it, but is yours being lower to the ground the reason for all of the outliers compared to the station that's higher off the ground?

ETA: In other words, do you see more consistent data if the station is higher off the ground? If it's lower, I'm assuming buildings/trees/other obstacles will have some effect on the readings?

That's probably the case. Unfortunately I don't really have an ideal place for it. I don't live at an airport, so I don't really see the point in getting wind speed at 80ft, I prefer to know what it's like on ground. Seriously, trees that surround my property are like 80-100ft tall. Back yard would be the worst spot because of many, many trees in all directions. Right now my weather station is in an area that has the least amount of restrictions, one direction there is probably nothing in the way for 200-300ft. But in the other directions there are buildings in trees within 50-80ft. The ideal spot would be to put a 16ft pole on the garage, but then there would be like no way to gain access to it because the garage is 25ft tall and add another 16ft on top of that to clear the tree that is right next to it..41ft is not worth risking my life! Haha

I put it most logical spot I could. The readings may not be perfect, but I suppose its good enough. It hasn't been dropped from Weather Underground yet, so it can't be that bad.

DSC_4278.jpg

That's probably the case. Unfortunately I don't really have an ideal place for it. I don't live at an airport, so I don't really see the point in getting wind speed at 80ft, I prefer to know what it's like on ground. Seriously, trees that surround my property are like 80-100ft tall. Back yard would be the worst spot because of many, many trees in all directions. Right now my weather station is in an area that has the least amount of restrictions, one direction there is probably nothing in the way for 200-300ft. But in the other directions there are buildings in trees within 50-80ft. The ideal spot would be to put a 16ft pole on the garage, but then there would be like no way to gain access to it because the garage is 25ft tall and add another 16ft on top of that to clear the tree that is right next to it..41ft is not worth risking my life! Haha

I put it most logical spot I could. The readings may not be perfect, but I suppose its good enough. It hasn't been dropped from Weather Underground yet, so it can't be that bad.
Thanks for the detailed response. I was just wondering for my information, since I don't know a lot about them or how they're installed. And I like to learn, haha. Sometimes I deal with a lot of data at work, so I was just curious about the data. Yeah, don't risk your life for a weather station, haha.

Readings will never be perfect.. and they look pretty consistent. No reason to drop you!

You have it connected to WeatherUnderground. Would the NWS ever use any of this data in their Coop program? I'm not really sure what's involved in that, but I remember being on some conference calls with the NWS where they would get some information from volunteer observers.

DSC_4278.jpg

Thanks for the detailed response. I was just wondering for my information, since I don't know a lot about them or how they're installed. And I like to learn, haha. Sometimes I deal with a lot of data at work, so I was just curious about the data. Yeah, don't risk your life for a weather station, haha.

Readings will never be perfect.. and they look pretty consistent. No reason to drop you!

You have it connected to WeatherUnderground. Would the NWS ever use any of this data in their Coop program? I'm not really sure what's involved in that, but I remember being on some conference calls with the NWS where they would get some information from volunteer observers.

There is quite of bit involved in being a volunteer observer. You have to be pretty dedicated. I believe they install their own weather equipment on your property. I don't think you can use your own stuff.

NWS Cooperative Observer Program

But there many, many websites for personal weather stations like Weather Underground, WeatherBug, CWOP, AnythingWeather, AWEKAS, just to name a few. I can share my data among most of these with Meteobridge. But I don't really need to. Weather Underground is pretty much the largest PWS community. Plus many apps use their data. I have one called Amazing Weather HD on my windows phone that connects to my personal weather station! Its pretty neat.

I don't know a thing about weather stations but I do know a thing or two about neat wiring in a Control Panel and thats a neat job.Nothing worse then shabby work of wiring. Also there is nothing nuts about a hobby or something you like doing if its not hurting anyone.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back