"My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit"

I have that "not okay to edit" flag. If someone asks, though, I'll usually have no problem with it. Likewise, I've asked those who have it, and have always been granted permission to edit a photo. It's no big deal. It's entirely possible to easily offer a critique or a suggestion without having to actually edit a photo.

Maybe a solution could be to also offer an "ASK BEFORE EDITING" option...

If I offer a picture for critique, I'm often asking for something very specific so it's easier to give directed feedback. I don't want people to waste their time editing a photo for something I didn't even ask about. If it's something I need help visualizing, I might mention that it would be okay to edit that particular photo in that particular thread.

I also find it much more useful when someone is able to tell me exactly what they do or don't like, and that doesn't need a long, involved description. I can see how description PLUS an example of the edited photo for beginners would be useful, so they can see the result of the advice that was just given, but those who have been doing this awhile should be able to use and understand the jargon, so some simple feedback would be enough to get the point across. Finally, if someone tells me that a picture needs, for example, a contrast boost, I want to be able to achieve the result myself rather than just have someone do it for me.

And I think it's just good manners to ask first.

If I offer a picture for critique, I'm often asking for something very specific so it's easier to give directed feedback. I don't want people to waste their time editing a photo for something I didn't even ask about. If it's something I need help visualizing, I might mention that it would be okay to edit that particular photo in that particular thread.

I also find it much more useful when someone is able to tell me exactly what they do or don't like, and that doesn't need a long, involved description. I can see how description PLUS an example of the edited photo for beginners would be useful, so they can see the result of the advice that was just given, but those who have been doing this awhile should be able to use and understand the jargon, so some simple feedback would be enough to get the point across. Finally, if someone tells me that a picture needs, for example, a contrast boost, I want to be able to achieve the result myself rather than just have someone do it for me.

Bingo.
Not to mention someone drags your photo into lightroom makes ten adjustments and brings it back and says "isn't that better?"
well, I may not think it is better. I also don't have lightroom, don't know what you did, cant repeat it, and shoot near sooc. so what just occurred didn't really do a damn thing to help me. while it may have given them a ego boost how much help actually went to me is pretty limited. And that is provided they even made adjustments on what was necessary or outwardly incorrect and didn't just adjust the entire thing to fit their personal likes for the sake of it.

The problem with this line of thought is that you are telling the teacher how to teach, which is a huge red flag.

Pretending for a moment that there is a "right and wrong" here... if you don't know what "right" is (aka asking for critique), then presuming you know the best way to communicate what right is... is rather presumptuous.

Not to mention, if it's easier for the teacher to communicate their thoughts in a certain way... then you should allow them to do that. Placing an arbitrary restriction on them limits what they can do for you at best, and limits the number of teachers willing to help at worst.

Sorry, but a good teacher should be able to break things down in a way for a student to understand. We've all known those folks in front of a classroom who might have been brilliant but couldn't teach for crap (which is why I call them 'folks at the front of the classroom' rather than 'teachers.') Some people don't know how to explain steps of a process to beginners, and yet a beginner asking for help needs exactly that: certain things to be broken down, not just the final answer.

I might know exactly how to fix a paragraph one of my students wrote, and it would be a HELL of a lot easier to simply re-write the paragraph to 'show' them how to do it, but ultimately, what HELPS the student more is to let them do it themselves.

It's not all about how the teacher prefers to communicate. The teacher must also take into account how the student will receive the information, because if that is ignored, then truly no "communication" has taken place.

It's true that the person who is receiving the critique varies on how they accept the critique.
But then everyone is different.
I've gotten great advice on how to improve photos, technique, etc. It all depends upon how one receives it and tries to incorporate those comments into their work.

This forum has calmed down on critiques since last fall. Some were very edgy. It seems to have improved the environment on critiqueing being more on the soft side.

FWIW My teacher/mentor is awesome. It taught me to pick out something in his pictures that he's posted. At least I think I was right from his posting !!

I'm waiting for the "It is NOT OK to read nor reply to my comment" button :)

Actually, if anyone is looking for something to edit with a purpose. i was asked to provide a photo for a non profit organization of a woman very close to me they are writing something about. And all i have is a snapshot of her. which needs a lot of work and the processing is out of my league knowledge and software wise. i think they want it by the end of the month. All i have is a couple snapshots with horrid backgrounds. i don't have her permission to post her photo online, so i haven't posted it. She is a cancer survivor and it is a cancer organization they are writing something about her and its going in some kind of periodical or something. Her main concern is she looks old which i don't know how to fix. which she is elderly. It doesn't have to be a perfect portfolio shot just "decent"

Just to clarify, I am NOT suggesting that editing photos for someone else isn't useful. It can be very useful for those who process information more visually and might not as easily follow written advice without the visual accompaniment. For those who aren't sure what to do, then go ahead - let someone edit your photo and show rather than tell. Make it easier by giving everyone blanket permission to edit photos.

But if someone doesn't find it particularly useful, then it is NOT limiting to disallow editing without permission. It might be limiting for the person giving critique, but if the form of that critique is not useful for the person asking for critique, then what has been accomplished by editing that photo? Very little, and so the person giving the critique in the form of an edited photo has wasted their time.

One size does not fit all, of course, and folks who have chosen the "My photos are NOT OK to edit" option have done so for very specific reasons that are relevant to them. Are you suggesting we're all wrong for having made this choice? That our preferences don't or shouldn't matter? I don't think you are, quite frankly, but it feels a little bit like we've been scolded for that choice.

FYI, I didn't know what that feature was used for until someone asked me to change it

If a photo is wreck and the poster says not okay to edit, all I typically give them is a brief written suggestion of what I see as the errors in need of help. To me, the my photos are not okay to edit tag is not a one size fits all tag; I've been taking and developing my own photos since the mid-1970's...I know pretty much exactly how I want my photos to look, and I'm typically not interested in how somebody else would re-envision my photos--and yet, I have the "My Photos Are Okay To Edit" enabled. I think a lot of newbies on the other hand welcome alternate viewpoints and re-envisionings because, frankly, many of them have been "developing" their own photos for a matter of weeks or months, not decades, and yet, they will not allow editing.

I think this thread has some people participating who were not even the target audience for the OP, yet they seem to have become overly concerned about another guy's point of view, and are now involved in fighting a battle that's not even theirs to be involved in...

One of the best suggestions is adding a third choice: Ask Before Editing, which Steve5D suggested in Post #16.

Well, you can always ask.I have it there because I don't want people, anyone taking liberty. If I had some question and was asked I'd certainly permit it if the editor was wanting to display something I wanted tosee...does that make sense?

We KNOW why you don't allow editing. Because the clothing is on it's own layer and if we were allowed to edit it, we know that runnah would turn off that layer.

Well, you can always ask.I have it there because I don't want people, anyone taking liberty. If I had some question and was asked I'd certainly permit it if the editor was wanting to display something I wanted tosee...does that make sense?

We KNOW why you don't allow editing. Because the clothing is on it's own layer and if we were allowed to edit it, we know that runnah would turn off that layer.

*snicker*

*snicker*

Oh so you would be doing it too, huh?

Take my photos. Please!
im the opposite. Not because most of my photos are totally wonderful. But i have way too much time tied up in this. i look at that as the equivalent of working for a week and someone stealing my paycheck. Not to mention when you start offering things for sale, it puts a entire new spin on someone copying it off line for free. im working right now on getting some of my stuff shown and for sale at a place up on a wall in physical print. i am paranoid about what i post on line and limit it. There is some amazing photography on this site from others, and i often wonder how much has been stolen off it. i usually post photos that are photos that im not sure of or in need of help. i surely don't post for others enjoyment or for pats on the back here. Mostly to learn or say "this is what im working on"

Take my photos. Please!
im the opposite. Not because most of my photos are totally wonderful. But i have way too much time tied up in this. i look at that as the equivalent of working for a week and someone stealing my paycheck. Not to mention when you start offering things for sale, it puts a entire new spin on someone copying it off line for free. im working right now on getting some of my stuff shown and for sale at a place up on a wall in physical print. i am paranoid about what i post on line and limit it. There is some amazing photography on this site from others, and i often wonder how much has been stolen off it. i usually post photos that are photos that im not sure of or in need of help. i surely don't post for others enjoyment or for pats on the back here. Mostly to learn or say "this is what im working on"
Oh, I was in no way faulting you for your preference! I completely understand both side of the issue. If and when I can progress to the point of some of the artists on this forum, I may even join ya! Meanwhile, I'm reduced to Henny Youngman jokes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back