My Summer Tree

TJ_Photographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
tjs-photographs.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So it's been awhile since I posted on here and last time I learned a lot. SO hopefully I fixed some of those problems I had. I'm saying this is a perfect picture. But I would like to know how people think about this photo.

summer_tree_by_tjs_photographs-da3jbie.jpg

The sky is very close to being blown out (no detail/ pure white) and many of the shadows are blocked (No detail/pure black).
Consequently, IMO it's not a very good photo relative to exposure.
The first day of summer is June 21 this year.

The subject matter is not very interesting or photogenic, but the composition does have some tension and drama because it is framed per rule of thirds (RoT) guidelines.
Bonus points if the shot was intentionally framed per RoT guidelines.

Shots with this kind of lighting ( a dynamic range that exceeds the dynamic range of your camera's image sensor) are tough.
If you expose the sky correctly the land is under exposed.
Expose the land correctly, like you did, and the sky is over exposed.
Nikon DSLRs have a nice feature called Active D-Lighting that is able to rein in the dynamic range a fair amount.

If you take 2 photos, one expose the sky correctly, one to Expose the land correctly, and the try to composite them the tree branches make selecting the tree a royal pain in the keester.

So the scene is a good candidate for using the HDR technique of making 3 or more bracketed exposures that will be combined using one of the many HDR applications. Photomatix by hdrSoft is the HDR application I use though I also usually move the combined image back and for the between Photomatix and Photoshop several times to get the editing just the way I want it.

Here is a photo I recently made that had kind of the same light but to a lesser degree.
I was able to expose the sky so it had good detail by underexposing the land about 2/3 of a stop.
PublicNightMay6-2016.jpg

I like it but I'd like it even more with more separation between the tree and the forest.
I can't see the tree for the forest. :)

The sky is very close to being blown out (no detail/ pure white) and many of the shadows are blocked (No detail/pure black).
Consequently, IMO it's not a very good photo relative to exposure.
The first day of summer is June 21 this year.

The subject matter is not very interesting or photogenic, but the composition does have some tension and drama because it is framed per rule of thirds (RoT) guidelines.
Bonus points if the shot was intentionally framed per RoT guidelines.

Shots with this kind of lighting ( a dynamic range that exceeds the dynamic range of your camera's image sensor) are tough.
If you expose the sky correctly the land is under exposed.
Expose the land correctly, like you did, and the sky is over exposed.
Nikon DSLRs have a nice feature called Active D-Lighting that is able to rein in the dynamic range a fair amount.

If you take 2 photos, one expose the sky correctly, one to Expose the land correctly, and the try to composite them the tree branches make selecting the tree a royal pain in the keester.

So the scene is a good candidate for using the HDR technique of making 3 or more bracketed exposures that will be combined using one of the many HDR applications. Photomatix by hdrSoft is the HDR application I use though I also usually move the combined image back and for the between Photomatix and Photoshop several times to get the editing just the way I want it.

Here is a photo I recently made that had kind of the same light but to a lesser degree.
I was able to expose the sky so it had good detail by underexposing the land about 2/3 of a stop.
PublicNightMay6-2016.jpg
Thank you for that advice. I was wondering how to get the sky to pop out more and this helps a lot. And as for the naming, I know when summer is, I thought it suited it because it was more or less summer vacation for my school, so I count it more as summer than spring, lol

Sent From Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back