nature has been raped again

you know, I don't know how I feel about it. I hate that it takes the nature out of nature, but I can't help but feel like it's something that may help lead people to a place where we care about nature again.

For example, while I was at Garden of the Gods taking photos - I HATED that I had a hard time with a great shot trying to take it without a road in there. But without the road and traffic, I feel like there wouldn't be nearly the amount of people enjoying the garden. Out of that group, there has to be people that are moved towards conservation.

So with this skywalk - I'm hoping it moves people to love and protect nature. Just as I was as a kid driving (not hiking) around Rocky Mountain National Park. So, we'll see. I feel like it's kind of a catch 22.

well, haven't been there, so I cannot really judge the situation, but taken that aside, I normally do not like the idea of add ons to natural monuments.

NO!!!

Having spent two weeks rafting and hiking the canyon this summer, I can't emphasize how horrible this is.

It takes the wilderness out of the wilderness. :(:(:(

page wont load for me, but if it's anything like what I think it is...it's a national travesty. I went to the grand canyon years and years ago, and it was one of the most awesome and memorable vacations ever. It needs nothing more.

Page would not load, but I am familiar with the topic. I like it. Fits the landscape. I can only imagine standing over the canyon like that. Seems like fun. I understand that people have been coming to this area for thousands of years and never needed a skywalk. In no way does it rape the landscape.

Luv & BASS

i suppose it is just overloaded since it was in the news on TV yesterday ...

page wont load for me, but if it's anything like what I think it is...it's a national travesty. I went to the grand canyon years and years ago, and it was one of the most awesome and memorable vacations ever. It needs nothing more.
I can't get the page to load either, but I'm almost afraid to look. Will there be a hot dog vendor at either end? Can we throw coins over the side to watch and see if we can hear them hit the ground? Yeah man....cool.

I can't see the page, but it's seldom to the better for wild places when we make it easy for the masses to access them.

:er:

just google for "grand canyon skywalk" ...

it is not as shocking as terri assumes though ;)

Time will tell. ;) You're the one who used the word "rape".

Links are pretty much the same; must be getting tons of hits. I think it's located on the western part of the GC - that's all I've been able to get.

It's really not very obtrusive given what it is. I think it was well done considering some other options they had (other than building nothing, obviously).

I've never thought about throwing pennies off the side! That IS going to be a problem with all the kids who love doing it and parents who ignore their kids! I threw a paper airplane off the empire state building when I was an early teen - so I imagine the same thing will happen in the canyon :confused:

Also, some background on this piece is that the native americans who own the land are poor and are struggling to live. They are building this with some grants and outside funds to help give them a tourism boost that will go directly to them.

Something to think about, at least.

I watched a documentary about this about 6 months ago. They showed all the plans and talked about how the Natives are fighting them on it.

I liked the look of the construction, I don't like the idea of having it there.

It's really not very obtrusive given what it is. I think it was well done considering some other options they had (other than building nothing, obviously).

I've never thought about throwing pennies off the side! That IS going to be a problem with all the kids who love doing it and parents who ignore their kids! I threw a paper airplane off the empire state building when I was an early teen - so I imagine the same thing will happen in the canyon :confused:

I thought it was a fully enclosed glass structure ?

Most reactions

Back