Need a macro lens for my Nikon D200

momo3boys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I love my D200 but I really miss shooting macro. I have to use my Sony cybershot (which is great) but I am curious about a good macro lens for the D200. Any ideas or prices?

WOW! What a great looking lens. I'm pretty sure its out of my budget for now though. What would be a decent lens, not professional, but decent. I usually do portraits and weddings for the professional shot. Macro is just a fun hobby of mine.

WOW! What a great looking lens. I'm pretty sure its out of my budget for now though. What would be a decent lens, not professional, but decent. I usually do portraits and weddings for the professional shot. Macro is just a fun hobby of mine.

If you have a 35mm or a 50mm prime... look at the Raynox DCR-250. I use this on top of my Tokina 100 macro.. and it actually gives excellent IQ. My girlfriend often borrows it to use on her 35mm.. and gets really nice macro shots. I was always against using this type of add-on lens, until some people here convinced me other wise. Here are some images I took with it... the little spider was maybe a 1/2" long.....

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...w-raynox-dcr-250-add-lens-jumping-spider.html

The Tamron 90 2.8 is amazing and very cheap. I got mine used for £190. I'm not sure about US prices.

For Nikon lenses I think the Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor Lens is awesome and not too expensive. I often use it as a walking around lens too.

For Nikon lenses I think the Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor Lens is awesome and not too expensive. I often use it as a walking around lens too.
-
Agree with above. You can probably pick up the old style and the 60 converts to about an 80mm which falls into the portrait lens range so it can a dual purpose on your DX frame. If your subject fly away easy on the macro side I'd say go a little bit longer.
-
Shoot well, Joe

Extension tubes are always an option if your budget is small. I have a set of Kenkos and I have managed to get decent results with them.

Both of these were shot hand held. I used a flash for the fly and ambient light for the jumping spider.

Fly02.jpg

Itsy_Bitsy01.jpg

OR buy a used Nikon 105mm 2.8 (non-vr). It is a beautifully sharp lens. Here is an example shot on my D200

hydrangea.jpg

The Nikon Micro 85 f3.5 is a great macro lens. Very sharp, and good for walk around AND portrait shots. Not expensive at all at around $400 Cdn.

Most reactions

Back