Need C&C for potential portfolio pictures

c_lawrence

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had this posted in another forum & they suggested I post it here... This is my first TPF photo post...

K - here goes... these are some of the images I am considering for a 'portfolio' website. I would really love comments and criticism (Be honest... the only way I learn! :) ). I am planning on posting as is, so thoughts on the watermark are also welcome.

snakecopy.jpg

UGAvsUSChorsecopy.jpg

Highfallscopy.jpg

AnsleywFlagcopy.jpg

ElwayXmas2007midsepiacopy.jpg

Blacksmithzcopy.jpg

beewithrosecopy.jpg

Ansleyswimmingcopy.jpg

whew... that's it for now, let me have it! ;-)

First up, I would like to say that your massive logo bang in the middle of the photo is extremely obtrusive, and the thickness of the black border is also. I don't mean to be harsh, but I can't even see some of them properly!

Right, I like 1 and 4 the best. 1 has great, vibrant colours and in 4, the black silloughette with the colour of the USA flag work really well. I do think you could work on composition a little more, and also I think some (namely the dog and guitarist) are way over-Photoshopped.

They look great, but 6 looks too similar to what an amateur would do playing around with effects. I can see there is more than a click involved in your processing, just saying that it looks similar to that :). It is not necessarily a bad thing, but i think it would be best placed in a "special effects" section or something similar, to emphasize the fact that you were going for that specific look.

8. The face looks a bit too orange for me at some spots.

1. Stands out for me, really great shot.

God remove your lame sig from the middle of every photo, it ruins them and no one is gonna take credit for them, sorry to burst your bubble.

God remove your lame sig from the middle of every photo, it ruins them and no one is gonna take credit for them, sorry to burst your bubble.

Wow... wasn't looking for an ahole response, but if that's your style, then whatever...

I do appreciate the constructive criticism given above. I have only been delving into photography since Fall 2007 (so no "bubble" here -- if so, I wouldn't have posted asking for criticism and avise). The info I've been given from some professionals in the field regarding posting photos on the internet has been to use a large watermark with 60% opacity (this one is at 50%)... however, I will definately reconsider this choice. Also, The dog was an assignment for a Photoshop class and the owner loved the outcome - but maybe not a good choice for portfolio? As for the band pix... musicians and concerts is an area I am interested in and have had experimented the most with -- this has been one of the most favored photos among some of the local musicians in Athens and Atlanta... but again, maybe not for a portfolio.

Orange on the child's face... I think I have a problem with editing via my LCD screen on my laptop... the areas I think you may be seeing as orage appear a darker pinkish/reddish on my screen (she was sunburned and there was a lot of blue hues bouncing from the pool color onto her face)... maybe I need to edit from a different screen to ensure proper coloration?

K - here goes... these are some of the images I am considering for a 'portfolio' website. I would really love comments and criticism (Be honest... the only way I learn! :) ). I am planning on posting as is, so thoughts on the watermark are also welcome.

First up, I would like to say that your massive logo bang in the middle of the photo is extremely obtrusive....

Wow... wasn't looking for an ahole response, but if that's your style, then whatever...

Be mindful of what you ask for. You just may receive it.

The logo isn't going to stop anyone from seeing the quality of your work, however if they just want to look at pretty pictures they will probably jump to someone else's gallery. If someone really really wants to steal your image they can still do it, but with this kind of watermark it becomes so much more tedious to remove - it offers a lot more protection but not 100%. In any case, calling that watermark "lame" and "ruins every photo" is missing the whole point. Just my 2 cents on that.

maybe I need to edit from a different screen to ensure proper coloration?
Oh boy, now there is a can of worms. Yes, you almost certainly do. Welcome to the world of color management. Color spaces, screen calibration, color managed workflow... you might want to look into these at some point.

Yes, there was a request for "honest" C&C, but there is a difference between honest/constructive and rude.

And if all you are concerned about is the water mark, I doubt the watermark is going to be on the finished print. So lets try and focus on the photos...

First of all, I really liked the colors on the snake and the Bee photos. They are vibrant and eye catching.

Not too crazy about the horse one, its a nice pic, just not my style, little boring.

The waterfall pic in nice, generic, but still very nice.

The American flag one has great use of light. I thought it was not only patriotic, but cute. And sometimes when people put "patriotic" and "cute" together, its cheesy, but this was not.

The PP on the puppy is also nice it gives a warm comfy feeling. But there is something on the bottom of the pic that is distracting (bottom right).

LOVE the PP on the guy playing the guitar, not too crazy about the PP on the drums though, i felt it was a bit much.

And the girl in the pool also has great colors but feels more like a snapshot.

This is just my 2 cents. Overall, nice work. :D

Honesty and rudeness are two different things... but it's a forum with lots of personalities, so I'll take it with a grain of salt.

I appreciate everyone's comments and constructive criticism... as a true beginner I feel it necessary to gain an outside perspective... either good or bad. After re-evaluating the pictures, I am thinking many of them are more 'feel-good' pics & some need some better lighting,... (like the horse)and not really appropriate for a folio. I need to narrow down my focus and shoot pics specifically to represent this... also, I guess it may also be important to assure you that my "portfolio" will not be used to gain paying customers but rather to gain entrance into an entry level job or intern/apprenticeship (at least for now) - as I mentioned before I only began around 9/07 so I still have a LOT to learn! :D

... and you're right MyaLover, the water mark is for internet purposes only... but still I will consider revising.

Glad to see you've got some skin on you.

#1 - The lighting and colors are very good on this one. There is something about the crop at the top that is bothersome to me. I would like to see more of the body there.

#2 - Does not hold my interest.

#3 - Perhaps a slightly longer shutter speed to get that silkiness for waterfalls. Not much you could do about it, but the felled log in the bottom third is a bit distracting.

#4 - The use of light and composition are very good here.

#5 - The softness and color processing work well, but I find the white bits in the background are distracting / unecessary. Perhaps a tighter crop.

#6 - Does not hold my interest.

#7 - Good use of color and texture, but the watermark does not allow me to focus in on the bee.

#8 - Looks a fun time but the harsh sunlight and her squinting would lead me to cull this from a portfolio. Has the semblance of a snapshot.

Thanks for sharing.

Nice shots :)

I think the watermark how it is is extremely distracting - I'm finding it gets my attention more that the actual picture. The position of it also is annoying in some cases - like nearly right across the snakes eye for example in the 1st pic.

You should just take out the giant watermark and leave the one thats on teh bottom right, thats good enough. LIke everyone else said, the giant one is too distracting.

But I think the choices of pics you choseshow a good variety that shows what you could do. For example, macro shots (6) to photoshop work (7).

I like your photos, I would be impress if I saw it. The only two i don't like is number 2 since there's no rider face, making it a weird composition. The PP in number 6 make it quite fake and just not my taste but then that's just me. Number 8, the light is a bit harse on one side of her face but I think the color is great other wise. Nice work!

You guys are awesome... thanks so much for the ongoing tips and critique... I am taking it all in :biggrin:

Good on 'ya c_lawrence for taking it in as you have. Some posters can make very snarky comments like:
..but mean no harm. It's only a slice of life on offer here. Sometimes you have to roll with the punches and you have done well. I personally look forward to your future posts. Please astonish us with the next batch.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back