Need help to understand lens

RK Conrad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D7000. I know it's a DX format but I want to purchase a Nikon 80-200 lens. My question is which lens. There's a Nikkor and a Nikon lens listed with different letters. I can't get an answer even though I called Nikon. They told me they had only one used lens listed for sale. I then said I just need to know which one works with my camera. I'm frustrated with Nikon Inc. They only wanted to make sure my camera was registered and it is. I purchased it new. Please help, thank you in advance.

There's only one 80-200 currently offered by Nikon. We need to know (precisely) which two 80-200 lenses you're looking at as there's about 10 legacy lenses.

I have a Nikon D7000. I know it's a DX format but I want to purchase a Nikon 80-200 lens. My question is which lens. There's a Nikkor and a Nikon lens listed with different letters. I can't get an answer even though I called Nikon. They told me they had only one used lens listed for sale. I then said I just need to know which one works with my camera. I'm frustrated with Nikon Inc. They only wanted to make sure my camera was registered and it is. I purchased it new. Please help, thank you in advance.
What Sparky said. For what it's worth, I got pretty worthless service when I called them on my D7200.

I think the D7000 has a built in focus motor so you can use AF, AF-S lens for auto focus. Here is a run down that may add clarity. Assuming you may want to buy used.

NÆRFOTO Bjørn Rørslett

Pre ai, ai, AIS are manual focus.

IMG_1700.jpg
IMG_1701.jpg

The first one is the current model. The second is the previous version and was discontinued in 2003. Both will work on a D7000.

What Sparky said. For what it's worth, I got pretty worthless service when I called them on my D7200.

I think the D7000 has a built in focus motor so you can use AF, AF-S lens for auto focus. Here is a run down that may add clarity. Assuming you may want to buy used.

NÆRFOTO Bjørn Rørslett

Pre ai, ai, AIS are manual focus.
Thank You

I currently have the latest 80-200/2.8 AF-D.
I initially used it with my D7000

I love the lens with the D7000, it worked great. I also used it with the D600, D750 and D500.

The lens has a couple switches. A "Limit" and "Normal" switch which is in Limit mode limits your ability of close focusing. But also prevents it hunting a lot if you get into a situation where the AF is confused. The normal used for more closer distance focusing.

It also has the AF- AutoFocus / Manual focus lens rotating switch. Upon using this feature I had it break on me. And I sent it into Nikon for repair. I don't play around with this switch anymore. I just use it in AF mode.

be careful which model the 80-200 you purchase. If you look at the posting above from KmH it will show you the history of the model. Make sure you don't get the Push-Pull lens. The KenRockwell.com has pretty good information on each lens.

I've had mine now for at least 5 years and it's still working strong as my main indoor sports lens.

I love the lens with the D7000, it worked great. I also used it with the D600, D750 and D500.

The lens has a couple switches. A "Limit" and "Normal" switch which is in Limit mode limits your ability of close focusing. But also prevents it hunting a lot if you get into a situation where the AF is confused. The normal used for more closer distance focusing.

It also has the AF- AutoFocus / Manual focus lens rotating switch. Upon using this feature I had it break on me. And I sent it into Nikon for repair. I don't play around with this switch anymore. I just use it in AF mode.

be careful which model the 80-200 you purchase. If you look at the posting above from KmH it will show you the history of the model. Make sure you don't get the Push-Pull lens. The KenRockwell.com has pretty good information on each lens.

I've had mine now for at least 5 years and it's still working strong as my main indoor sports lens.
Thank You, this information was very help full. RC

Thank You, this information was very help full. RC
I believe I can make a better informed decision. Thank You. RK

Here is a comprehensive review of the most-popular, most-common 80-200 AF-D, two-ring lens for Nikon mount: 80-200mm f/2.8 Lens Review by Thom Hogan

The earlier "one-ring" or "push-pull" variants are very inexpensive, and many are old now, and rather clunky, but cn be had very cheaply, have slow autofocus, but are a fulkl pound lighter than later models, but the optis are now only good, not very good, not excellent.

The later, low-production 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S is a nice lens, but is fairly hard to find. I had one for two years,and found it to be a good lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back