Need lens help

Whinnie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am new to photography, and just having fun with it. Not looking at going too far with it, but I have been doing shoots for people with their horses. I have a lot to learn, but I want a new lens. I have a nikon D40, with the kit lens, 18-55mm. I am looking for a little better zoom, and something to capture action. My current lens is quite fast, and want to keep it at that speed. My budget is under $200 right now, as this is a hobby only. Thanks for any and all help!

Having a D40, you are already limited as to what lenses will AF (autofocus) on your camera body. Your $200.00 budget limits you even more.

The other kit lenses will cover the 18mm-50 (or so) mm that you already have a (fast?) lens for.

What about the 55-20mm VR lens? You can definitely find a used one within your budget, and a new one for not much more than that.

That is the range of "zoom" (for lack of better word-still learning, sorry) I was looking for. Any paticular brand you can reccommend?

That is the range of "zoom" (for lack of better word-still learning, sorry) I was looking for. Any paticular brand you can reccommend?

I am referring to the Nikon AF-S 55-200mm VR lens, that goes hand-in-hand with the 18-55mm lens you already have.

There are not a whole lot of choices for a D40 that will give you a wider range in focal length than you already have, yet stay within your $200.00
budget.

You should even be able to find a good one, at a fair price, here on TPF in the "Buy and Sell" section.

For what I use my camera for, the D40 works nicely for me. Once I decide to be more into photography(aka actually learn fstop, exposure, etc) I will upgrade. Right now, I can't see the point as its the same all around when it comes to above things. And my D40 has not done me wrong yet! I will look into that lens you suggested

Most reactions

Back