New Camera Troubles/ Random question

Thru_These_Eyes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got the Canon Rebel XTi.
Its amazing and I have only had one confusing thing go on that I just can't seem to understand. RAW.
What is it, how does it work, when should it be on instead of JPEG?????

Secondly, can I enter the photo contest of the month, or do I have to be here a certain amount of time to enter? :mrgreen:

I just got the Canon Rebel XTi.
Its amazing and I have only had one confusing thing go on that I just can't seem to understand. RAW.
What is it, how does it work, when should it be on instead of JPEG?????
Congrats on the new camera.
RAW is when the camera records the digital information right from the sensor...it's 'raw' data. When you record images in JPEG, the camera uses it's processor to 'process' the data, compress it and turn it into an image file.

By using RAW mode, you get to have full control over the processing of the image, rather than letting the camera do it for you.

HERE is a good article to read.

As for the contest, I believe you have to have a certain number of posts (legitimate posts) in order to enter.

As for the contest, I believe you have to have a certain number of posts (legitimate posts) in order to enter.

Oh crud... virtually all my posts are illegitimate...

Thru_These_Eyes.....You sound like a new and enthusiastic digital photographer.

As you get more "into" the subject, you will find that the 'second half' is comprised of your own post processing on the computer.

RAW files are the equivelant of a film negative, that is, all of the unprocessed data captured by your camera.
A .Jpg file is the result of whatever in-camera processing you had setup in your various menus (sharpening, contrast, etc).

Using your computer and certain software, processing the RAW file info will allow you a greater range of options to correct your original files. It is basically that simple in concept.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back