New Lens for Fiance

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by LudoTheGreat, Jun 23, 2008.

1. LudoTheGreat

LudoTheGreat TPF Noob!

My Fiance is going to be gone for a while, so I think it should be safe to post this now. I know nothing about photography or cameras, but it is her thing. She recently broke her lens that she had been using and it really upset her.

I guess what I need to know is where do I start looking for a new one to surprise her with? I know that her camera is a Pentax K100D and that the lens was a 35-80mm K Mount? I'd like something decent, but at the same time reasonably priced. If anyone could point me into the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.:hail:

2. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  3. LudoTheGreat

LudoTheGreat TPF Noob!

It looked exactly like that. I'd love to be able to spend more on one, but I have no idea where to start. What would be the next step up from that one?

4. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    It really depends on your budget and what she already has. If you are wanting to replace the lens that covers that same focal length I went with a Sigma EX 24-70mm which runs about $430:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/350968-REG/Sigma_548109_24_70mm_f_2_8_EX_DG.html

If you just want to replace the lens w/ equal quality the one I posted originally is an equal quality kit lens.

A really nice lens to have though that is reasonably priced is the 50mm 1.4:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/40755-USA/Pentax_20817_Normal_SMCP_FA_50mm_f_1_4.html

It's fixed focal length where the one you questioned was a zoom lens. If she doesn't have a 50mm I'd go for this and forget the zoom lens.

5. LudoTheGreat

LudoTheGreat TPF Noob!

Perfect that is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you a million Jonboy!

6. elemental

elemental TPF Noob!

As a fellow Pentax system user, I can say that that 50mm f/1.4 is something I would love to receive as a gift, though it is quite different in usage than a 35-80mm. The Sigma would be closer to what she lost, and would also be an excellent lens.

I wish someone would buy me glass like this. She'll be very thankful.

7. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I would get the sigma for a good replacement. She will be very happy :)

8. LudoTheGreat

LudoTheGreat TPF Noob!

Would a Sigma 24-70mm f3.5-5.6 UC Aspherical lens suit be a decent replacment for the kit lens she broke?