Changing ISO vs Changing Film

asfixiate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I searched several Posts and what I'm about to ask looks as if its unique.

I'm not stuck in any scenario just curious. I can adjust the ISO setting in my camera. Some cameras have auto-iso.

When it comes to film is adjusting your ISO the equivalent of changing between rolls of film?

Would you have to carry 5 different types of film to get the same shots that 5 different ISO settings in a Digital camera has?

Again I don't have a particular issue just would like to know.

You'd either have to carry multiple speeds of film, or shoot a particular film at a speed faster or slower than its standard speed; you then develop as if the film were at a different speed. This is called pushing/pulling.

Of course, whilst with digital you can adjust the effective ISO from shot to shot with 35mm you have to wait to the end of the roll.

With cameras with exchangeable backs you can have different films loaded and chop and change (if you can afford the backs).

Of course, whilst with digital you can adjust the effective ISO from shot to shot with 35mm you have to wait to the end of the roll.

With cameras with exchangeable backs you can have different films loaded and chop and change (if you can afford the backs).

No, It is not hard to document the frame number one is on and rewind the film and remove it from the camera, change film and then put the previous roll back back in at a later time and advance to the frame one left off on.

No, It is not hard to document the frame number one is on and rewind the film and remove it from the camera, change film and put it back in at a later time and advance to the frame one left off on.

LOL. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It depends a lot on which film you are using. I carry a camera loaded with Portra 800, and the speed dial set to 400. Portra 800 has a huge overexposure latitude, so shooting it at 200, or even lower, is not a problem. Nor is shooting it at 800, of course. I don't like to go much above 800 without push-processing the film. Otherwise it gets normal development if shot between 100 and 800.

Best,
Helen

Lol all you want, I shoot 35mm almost exclusively and have done it on a few occations, it is not hard.

That's right, it is not hard. I used to do it a lot when shooting reversal film, switching speeds and daylight-tungsten. You simply write the number of frames taken on the film leader.

Best,
Helen

Lol all you want, I shoot 35mm almost exclusively and have done it on a few occations, it is not hard.

I've done it myself (although I gave it a safety margin of two shots being somewhat cautious).

It's just not something that I'd want to do as a matter of course.

Whereas with digital it's just a few button presses.

sounds like you got a lot of time on your hands.

I think we do that with micro film where I work.

Not really, I think I've done it twice in thirty years.

It's useful to save wasting film or avoid not getting a shot but it's not a technique you'd want to be using on a shot to shot basis as you can with digital. (Although I doubt that many people would want to use it literally shot to shot it can be incredibly useful if you are taking shots outdoors one minute and indoors the next).

It depends a lot on which film you are using. I carry a camera loaded with Portra 800, and the speed dial set to 400. Portra 800 has a huge overexposure latitude, so shooting it at 200, or even lower, is not a problem. Nor is shooting it at 800, of course. I don't like to go much above 800 without push-processing the film. Otherwise it gets normal development if shot between 100 and 800.

Best,
Helen
Helen, is the same true of Portra 400 NC/VC, or is this only for the 800 film? I thought I read this was true for the whole Portra family but wanted to check. I have some Portra 100 and 400 on the way for my F100. Didn't bother with any of the 800 yet. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back