New Nikon lenses on old SLR Nikon cameras?

Justin TW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know that you can use older Nikon lenses on modern DSLR cameras but can it work in reverse? For example if I were to purchase an older Nikon SLR can I use my current lenses from my D300s on it? Also, any recommendations on vintage Nikon SLR's that won't break the bank? (Under $300 CAD, apox: $250 USD)

Thanks & Take Care!
JW

Sorry, but I don't think it will work.

I have a Nikon F100 SLR and I use all of the newer lenses on it, including the 50mm f1.4G, 85mm f1.4G, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 105 f2.8 macro. :)

I have a Nikon F100 SLR and I use all of the newer lenses on it, including the 50mm f1.4G, 85mm f1.4G, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 105 f2.8 macro. :)

That's new enough to support those lenses. Many older film cameras don't.

Aperture in Nikon G lenses are electronic I believe, but the D lenses are mechanical. So that's another option.

Now I assume that the older cameras obviously wont be able to do the auto focusing and image stabilization but does that mean they can't just work as a basic lens? As long as you can adjust the aperture ring? For example I have a basic 50mm lens that has an aperture ring on it.

Now I assume that the older cameras obviously wont be able to do the auto focusing and image stabilization but does that mean they can't just work as a basic lens? As long as you can adjust the aperture ring? For example I have a basic 50mm lens that has an aperture ring on it.

Don't quote me on it but if the camera doesn't have the contacts for electronic aperture control on modern G lenses then the aperture should stay wide open. You can also manual focus if the camera doesn't support AF for that lens.

Last edited:
The F4 or F5 would be good, or the expensive F6, as would be the N90 or N90s, or the F100, or the N80. The doggy N6006 would be okay as well. The delightful but aging N8008 models would be okay too. These will all handle G-series lenses, the ones without the aperture ring on the lens. PERSONALLY, I'd say go for the F100...one of the best Nikons ever made. There are also some VERY "doggy" low-priced bodies that can handle G-series lenses, like the N75,etc...but those are just dreadful.

Check here for a LOT of info! Nikon Lens Compatibility

JonA_CT-It takes a smart person to be able to figure out the N70 and N75 controls! A very unusual control ethos in the N75 and N70 bodies.

The price was right (i.e. free), and I'm a good reader.

I need to use it more. The one thing I haven't figured out is how to get it to trigger my flashes, haha.

The F4 or F5 would be good, or the expensive F6, as would be the N90 or N90s, or the F100, or the N80. The doggy N6006 would be okay as well. The delightful but aging N8008 models would be okay too. These will all handle G-series lenses, the ones without the aperture ring on the lens. PERSONALLY, I'd say go for the F100...one of the best Nikons ever made. There are also some VERY "doggy" low-priced bodies that can handle G-series lenses, like the N75,etc...but those are just dreadful.

Check here for a LOT of info! Nikon Lens Compatibility

Thank you very much for the info Derrel! :)

There are Nikon body/lens compatibility charts on the internet.
It is complicated enough that I am constantly looking at the chart when considering a new lens for a body of a different era.

I know that you can use older Nikon lenses on modern DSLR cameras but can it work in reverse? For example if I were to purchase an older Nikon SLR can I use my current lenses from my D300s on it? Also, any recommendations on vintage Nikon SLR's that won't break the bank? (Under $300 CAD, apox: $250 USD)

Thanks & Take Care!
JW
An outstanding SLR is the Nikon F4. I had an F-3 & was happier with that than any camera I've ever had, but the F4 does better metering than most, & I'm pretty sure you can use your lenses with it. You can get them for around $300 on eBay. For probably $200 to $250, check out the F100. Hope this helps.

Sent from my [device_name] using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Thanks & Take Care!
JW
An outstanding SLR is the Nikon F4. I had an F-3 & was happier with that than any camera I've ever had, but the F4 does better metering than most, & I'm pretty sure you can use your lenses with it. You can get them for around $300 on eBay. For probably $200 to $250, check out the F100. Hope this helps.

Sent from my [device_name] using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app
I paid less than $200 for my F100 and it is an amazing camera. I love it.

It feels so much like my D610 that I find myself looking at the back of the camera after I shoot to 'preview' the image. Oops...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back