nbsunshine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ellieandbarkley.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new photographer with lots to learn! My name is Kelly and I decided to pursue photography as more than a hobby when I lost my job due to the recession in Alberta. My company name is Ellie & Barkley Photography, named after my two pups Ellie & Barkley lol...I figured no one would have a photography business called that :)

I only do it part-time and consider myself an amateur but my clients seem ok with that! Someday I'd like to be pro - but there is quite a bit of work involved yet.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone and some great insight on the forum!

Kelly

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new photographer with lots to learn! My name is Kelly and I decided to pursue photography as more than a hobby when I lost my job due to the recession in Alberta. My company name is Ellie & Barkley Photography, named after my two pups Ellie & Barkley lol...I figured no one would have a photography business called that :)

Looking forward to getting to know everyone and some great insight on the forum!

Kelly

Welcome Kelly! Glad you joined the forum. One word of caution, however - I too taught my dog photography.

Now all he does is argue with me about shooting above ISO 100 and the fact that I don't use UV filters. :)

Hi Everyone,

Kelly

Welcome Kelly! Glad you joined the forum. One word of caution, however - I too taught my dog photography.

Now all he does is argue with me about shooting above ISO 100 and the fact that I don't use UV filters. :)

hahaha! thats so funny :)

Welcome!

Welcome to TPF.

If you have customers you are considered as having a business and as a professional photographer.
If you live in the USA ( no location info in profile) you also have many legal obligations to your customers even if you only do it part-time and do not charge for your services.
In fact even though you only do it part-time right now, your city and state likely require you to register your business, require you have business liability insurance, and to collect and forward applicable sales taxes.

Co-mingling your personal and business funds isn't recommended and city/state/federal entities will expect you to keep good business financial records.

Try not to let the you must pay the man crowd impede or scare you out of business. You can get basic business insurance for $500/yr. Like $40 a month.

You've got fees for your local govt who wants a piece of your action $25-$50 non refundable business license application fee.

Then sales tax is generally 8.25% of every dollar you make or $8.25/ $100. IDK about any other vague legal obligations that old man winters wants to scare scooby doo out of the fun house with.

Welcome aboard.

@KmH - she's in (or at least worked in) Alberta, judging by her original post.

Welcome to TPF.

If you have customers you are considered as having a business and as a professional photographer.
If you live in the USA ( no location info in profile) you also have many legal obligations to your customers even if you only do it part-time and do not charge for your services.
In fact even though you only do it part-time right now, your city and state likely require you to register your business, require you have business liability insurance, and to collect and forward applicable sales taxes.

Co-mingling your personal and business funds isn't recommended and city/state/federal entities will expect you to keep good business financial records.

Thanks! Well, I have insurance, plus a business licence and all that, and I'll pay whatever is required by law, but I am not making enough in Canada for it to be more than a 'hobby' as per the government. I was just trying to tell all of you that I'm not feeling 'Pro' yet and still feel that I fit the amateur status :) despite someone wants to pay me lol..I want to learn everything I can.

Hello, welcome.

Albertans don't pay tax everyone knows that haha.

Welcome to TPF. Good luck with your business. :)

Took a peek at your website as I was curious as to the "NB"sunshine username. Thought there might be a connection to New Brunswick Canada in there somewhere. (Many people in the oil business went west for work so there are quite a few relocated or temporary Albertans that are originally from here)

Just a tip. You mention you are available for local projects. But you never mention (or at least not that I saw and was looking for it) where you are located. :)

Most reactions

Back