New SLR Camera for my wife???

shanet1975

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
I wanted to surprise my wife with a new camera. She took photography in High school a few years back and wants to get back into it. She says she wanted a manual focus SLR camera. She was looking at the Minolta Maxxum 5 a while back. I just looked and it doesnt say anything about manual focus. Can anyone suggest a good scheapish manual focus SLR camera? Did the Maxxum 5 used to come with manual focus? I'm sorry for the ignorant questions, I really don't have any experience in this.
Thank you so much for your time!!!

The Maxxum is an AF camera. But most lenses should have the ability to switch to Manual Focus.

For a good, cheap, reliable Minolta MF camera I would highly recommend the X-700. You can shoot in all manual, apeture priority, shutter priority. The MD mount lenses are really priced great. Considering when it was around, the zoom lenses suck. I would get some prime lenses for superior image quality and sharpness. I would get a 28mm, 50mm, and maybe a 100mm macro.

hi shanet!!

being a fan of nikon, i think you should go with the FM3

its rugged, manual, and cheaper than most.

md

I was hoping for the initial purchase to be under $500.00.
Thank you

Being a Canon fan, a good used A1 or better yet, an F1 if you can find one for your price range would be great.

yeah i think you should go Nikon also.....maybe an N75 or N80....depending on how much control you want......they both have automatic and manual focusing and are under 500$$.......

My local camera store is running a special on the N75 that includes the camera two lenses (28-80 and 70-300 I think) cleaning kit and bag for something like $535.00 then there is a $100.00 rebate. If I was looking I would get one myself.

Steve

I think anyone who has more than one lens should have a fast prime in their kit, but that sounds like a good set-up. I found that using a prime helped me step away from the point-and-shoot mentality a great deal.

Heres another silly question.....What is a prime??? Now I'm double guessing my idea to surprise her and just take her to get one. Too many options, and brands and models to try to choose from when I don't have much of a clue. Is it the camera that is auto focus and the lenses that are manual? I was checking out ebay and I can get a minolta maxxum 5 with 2 lenses brand new for 299.99. No one has mentioned anything about this brand. Any reason?
Thank you again

Hey, I mentioned Minolta on the first reply :D Minolta user myself.

Your idea to take her to try out the cameras is excellent.

Prime lenses are fixed focal length. They are generally faster (wider apeture) and sharper than zoom lenses. Most newer zoom lenses are nearing the sharpness of prime lenses, but they are still slower unless you spend a ton of money.

BTW, slower means that they let in less light, not that they focus slower or anything. A fast lens opens up to a wide aperture, which lets you shoot in dark situations you wouldn't be able to with a zoom. Plus you can blur out the background a lot more.

I think taking her along is a great idea. Finding a system that is a personal fit means handling the camera.

The lens determines if it's auto or not, but the camera has to have the elctronics to support it. The motors are in the lens itself. For Canons, the USM motors are quieter and quicker than non USM auto-lenses. This can be a big selling point. Plus some can be manual focused in auto mode while others have to be switched to manual or you risk damaging the lens. The Canon 50/1.8 can't be manually focused while in auto mode, while the 50/1.4 has the USM motor and can be.

Well holy macanoli. Thank you so much for the input. I will take her and also have her read your replies. You have all been most helpful....Any one know of any good helpful camera shops in the Mass area?

Most reactions

Back