New to Photography! Help please? :)

eksigned

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, how are ya?

I'm relatively new to the world of photography; I started roughly a 3 months ago. I've gone from the D60, to the D5000, and finally to my current camera: the D90. Who knew that photography was SO expensive!

I was hoping to have a few questions answered, seeing that I'm an amateur, and everyone here is so PRO! :D

I recently purchased a D90, body only. I'm having a really hard time deciding what sort of lens to purchase. I'm a car freak, and I mainly shoot cars. But I also take pictures of friends, family, and landscape. I'll post some of my pictures down below later. Can someone recommend me a decent walk around lens? I'm looking to spend around $400; used. I was debating on purchasing new, but I was told that when it comes to lenses, whether or not they're new or not, doesn't matter; hence the reason why I bought my camera NEW. I've been looking at a few 18-105's and a few 18-135 on craigslist...no luck. I'd love to have Nikon's 18-200, but it doesn't seem to fit into my camera budget. Any suggestions???! Anything would be GREATLY appreciated. Anything I should be particularly careful of when I purchase? It's all so confusing...:blushing: Oh and is it okay to purchase "older" lenses, as long as they're still compatible? A lot of craigslist/various websites. The older lenses, I mean the older body styles with "analog." THANKS AGAIN!!!

Thanks,
Eric

DSC_0281-1.jpg

DSC_0274copy.jpg

DSC_0171-1.jpg

DSC_0160-1.jpg

DSC_0160copy.jpg

DSC_0152copy.jpg

DSC_0099copy.jpg

DSC_0063-1.jpg

DSC_0061-1.jpg

DSC_0034-2.jpg

DSC_0210-1.jpg

CSC_0286.jpg

DSC_0340.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

well i'm a newb too but heres what i think.

first off. you upgrade fast lol. i could probably afford a d90 by now but i would have just the body lol. no lenses or all my lighting gear.

now. from the pictures it looks like you take a lot of low light pictures and nothing really needing a zoom (though you may want it). so i would say you deff need something fast. maybe think about a 18-70 ish f2.8. i think there is 2 to chose from within your price range new.
this is what i was thinking of. its actually 28-70
Sigma | 28-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Autofocus Lens for Nikon AF | 549306

hope that helps

Check into primes. Cost effective and fast! 35mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8. Not sure how these would do on a car, but I'm sure it would give fantastic results as they are such great lenses! Best part? The 35 is about $200 and the 50 you can get for $130, give or take.

I'd head over to Glazer's on 8th Avenue and ask the sales staff for some help, or go to Kenmore Camera Kenmore Camera and walk in and ask to see some stuff. You've got two excellent stores within 45 minutes of you--unless you try to get there between 3 and 6 PM on any weekday.

If you have gone from a D60 to a D5000 to a D90 within six months, you're a camera salesman's dream customer. Both those places know their stuff.

LOL thank you ALL for your advice. I didn't actually "upgrade" from camera to camera, retail. I purchased a kit camera from Costco, and they graciously took them back! My room mates are camera masters, and they insisted that I return the kit camera and piece my set together; for the price of the D5000 in a kit, I was able to purchase the D90, body only, + some extras.

Thanks for all your help! That place in Kenmore, I remember...I once took a photography class (for fun) over the summer at EDCC, and the professor that I worked under, was a sales associate from Kenmore Cameras!

Thanks again,
Eric

Most reactions

Back