New to the photography.

Edward.K

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hello.

I am Edward I am 14 years old and I live in Belgium. My hobby is building and flying rc planes.
A wile a go I put my camera (mobius action cam) in 1 picture every 5 seconds, for some aerial photographs and it actually where really nice pictures.
But the problem with the camera is that it can't focus, I need to open it and focus it on a far object so it isn't very easy to focus.
That is why I am planning to buy a new photo camera.
But of course there are really much to choose from and I do not know for what to search and look for.
Here are some things I want on the camera.

Price: €80-100(or less)

Mp: 10+

Weight: Less then 300g

Zoom: 0-100 (everything is good)

If there is somthing else important, you can ask it.
Thanx for the help.

An example of a photo, my laptop has crashed so I lost all the others.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
A good camera should focus well if you plane does not have any vibrations or anything like that. vibrations can make it look like its out of focus or much worse so you want to make sure the plane is vibration free or you want to have a camera mount will absorb the vibrations, if you can get rid of vibrations you will get much better photos/video. it will also help to have a camera that has a fast shutter speed, that will reduce the effects of vibration some.

If you want a camera that is going to take really good photographs I am not sure you are going to find that on a low budget, especially if your plane has vibrations and most
RC aircraft do have a good deal of vibrations. here is a video showing how to build a mount that might help you out a bit.

there are allot of budget cameras being made for aerial photography and video right now but most of those do not seem to have good video or picture quality, I fly RC helicopter and a good number of people I know have quad copters with cameras. my friend has tried several of the budget cameras on his quad copter and the results have been disappointing in my opinion. Maybe someone will know of a good budget camera for that type of thing but I have not saw one yet. the people I know that do get really good photos have allot of money into their aerial photo equipment.

I hate to burst your bubble here but your budget for a camera is not going to get you anything good if you are talking 100 US dollars. I think the first thing you should try to do is build some kind of camera mount to absorb any vibrations that plane may have and see if that works out better with your camera...

I know that a camera should focus normal, but this camera is a little out of focus and to put it better in focus I need to open the case and turn a little bit at the lens, but I do not know how much and which direction.

About vibration, my props are balanced and I have a little anti vibration thing with a card and a ziptie. So I almos got no vibration where the camera is.

Picture quality ? Do you have better picture quality if you have more pixels?

Oh and I wasn't talking about US dollars but about euros. And 100€ is about $125.
But

more mega pixels should improve the quality of the image to a extent but it kind of depends on what you are doing with the image.. more mega pixels mans you can crop the photo allot more before it starts to look bad and you can print out a much larger photo before it starts to look bad.

You can still get some very nice looking photos with less MP. I have had cameras with as low as 6 PM and up to 24 MP and viewed on my computer screen if the image is not cropped much the average person probably wont notice much of a difference.

There is a sony action cam, the model number is AS100V, its the white one. It is small and light weight. It is usually around 200 US dollars, you may be able to find a used one in your price range. that is the least expensive small camera I know of that takes descent photos and video, it also seem to be good in low light.

Thank you for the information about megapixels.

The camera only need to take pictures.
I have got a mobius to film with it.

Here I have just got an example, if you look at the nicon cool pix S2800 it isn't that expensive camera but it has got 20.1mp
And the canon powershot G7X which has got 20.2MP but is so much expensiver. I know it has a touchscreen and films in 1080p but is that making it so much more expensive? Or is it about the electronics inside?

And should the S2800 be a good camera to start out with?

hello.

I am Edward I am 14 years old and I live in Belgium. My hobby is building and flying rc planes.
A wile a go I put my camera (mobius action cam) in 1 picture every 5 seconds, for some aerial photographs and it actually where really nice pictures.
But the problem with the camera is that it can't focus, I need to open it and focus it on a far object so it isn't very easy to focus.
But of course there are really much to choose from and I do not know for what to search and look for.

Thanx for the help.

How about a Go Pro camera?

136g with housing
10MP
10fps
video 120 fps

these days most newer model cameras are coming with higher Mp numbers, every so many years they seem to go up and that becomes standard on most cameras.

Usually a camera cost more because it has better features, a better lens, it could have a better focusing system, a better sensor and stuff like that. I am not familiar with the S2800. it dose not look like that model is available in the USA but I read the review in your link and a few others I found and its sounds pretty descent.

I see the S2800 has a continuous photo shooting mode, I did not realize they were putting that option on point and shoot cameras now, as long as there is not a time limit to how long it will shoot continuously it might not be a bad option if the camera is in your budget. it would be hard to say exactly how it preformed on a airplane until you got it on there and tried it out. it might be worth a shot, and always try to buy it form a place with a good return policy, that way if it does not work out than you can take it back.

hello.

Thanx for the help.

136g with housing
10MP
10fps
video 120 fps

A Go Pro is a little too much expensive for me.

these days most newer model cameras are coming with higher Mp numbers, every so many years they seem to go up and that becomes standard on most cameras.

Usually a camera cost more because it has better features, a better lens, it could have a better focusing system, a better sensor and stuff like that. I am not familiar with the S2800. it dose not look like that model is available in the USA but I read the review in your link and a few others I found and its sounds pretty descent.

I see the S2800 has a continuous photo shooting mode, I did not realize they were putting that option on point and shoot cameras now, as long as there is not a time limit to how long it will shoot continuously it might not be a bad option if the camera is in your budget. it would be hard to say exactly how it preformed on a airplane until you got it on there and tried it out. it might be worth a shot, and always try to buy it form a place with a good return policy, that way if it does not work out than you can take it back.

That this camera has got a continuous photo shooting mode is really helpful.
So I think I will try this camera from a place with a good return policy so if I do not like it I can send it back.

NEW HERO

The perfect entry-level GoPro.
HERO makes it simple to capture and share your life. Built directly into a rugged, waterproof housing, and featuring high-quality 1080p30 and 720p60 video, HERO delivers the same immersive footage that’s made GoPro one of the best-selling cameras in the world—all in a simplified experience that’s easy for everyone.

HERO

$129.99

Learn More

• 1080p30 / 720p60 fps
  • 5MP / 5 fps Burst
  • Waterproof to 131’ (40m)

hello.

Thanx for the help.

136g with housing
10MP
10fps
video 120 fps

The new entry level go pro runs around 80.0 Euros or buy a used unit.

I just decided to look for some more reviews on that s2800 camera to read more about the continuous shooting mode to see if ther was a time limit on it, it looks like continuous mode will take a series of 6 photos. the other reviews I read just said it had a great continuous shooting mode and it took a photo ever 1.5 seconds it did not say that there was a limit to how many photos it took.

if it only takes 6 photos in continuous mode that might not be the right type of camera for aerial photography

today i went to the mediamarkt, it is a electronic shop where they also sell photo cameras. i found 2 that might be something. they are both around 80 euros.

sony W810
nikon 3600
or mayby the gopro

copied of a site: continuous still shooting is possible at a rapid rate of 10 fps.
This was for the sony, and i found somewhere else that it can take up to 100 shots.

for the nikon i found: (copied) Single (default setting), Continuous (the frame rate for continuous shooting is about 1.1 fps and the maximum number of continuous shots is about 6), BSS (Best Shot Selector), Multi-shot 16

or the gopro that has 10mp which is the half of the other cameras but it should be enough for a little bit of zooming in and that kind of things.

Last edited:
hello.

Thanx for the help.

136g with housing
10MP
10fps
video 120 fps

The new entry level go pro runs around 80.0 Euros or buy a used unit.

i didnt knew that they made one for 80 euros, so mayby that camera should be good too and with it waterproof case i can use it on rainy days and also on snowboard vacation.

The Panasonic FT25 (TS25 in the US) is water, dust, freeze and shockproof, but is a little over €100.
Rudi

Most reactions

New Topics

Back