New to using lights

The shadows result from a "hard" light source, a source that is not large in relation to the subject, but whioch is small,in realtion to the size of the subject. To make the shadows softer, and less-noticeable, the light source could be diffused through something like an umbrella, or a frame fitted with a diffusion medium like semi-transparent nylon fabric, or tracing paper, or white silk, etc..

Still: using ancillary light sources can create neat pictures, pictures that "look different" from regular, indoor home lights. There are multiple styles of lighting people. This is one,I can see why the mother would like this, as opposed to regular "room lighting", which is often quite bland.

Last edited:
Another attempt!
I did a two year old child today with my little home rig and light set up and I tell you want my hats are off to you who do this. Fighting backdrop color clashing ,kids and adults knocking down your lights and shadows... shadows... shadows! I really don't see how you do it with any consistency especially in a room with windows. The mother loved the results which were edited of course...me I wasn't over thrilled because of the shadows.
I was happy the sun was out and could do some outdoor shots after that stressful undertaking. Here is the edited version...Kinda ashamed of the un-edited ones.

The catchlight that's dead-centered on her pupils is disconcerting to me. Did you use the on-camera pop-up flash as well?

The catchlight that's dead-centered on her pupils is disconcerting to me. Did you use the on-camera pop-up flash as well?[/QUOTE]

Yes...I went Auto mode. I probably should have turned the flash off. Yesterdays lesson left me with the impression of MORE MORE light.
An energetic two year old and several other kids running the room so it was daunting for me to attempt on Manual mode. I have a Cannon Rebel xsi.
Id like to upgrade to a better camera and much better lens here in a couple months. This cannon likes to over expose everything in Auto mode. I finally did a reset of my factory settings this morning and it seems much better.
Thank you guys for the shadow explanation. Yesterday when I practiced in front of a big window(at my back) it was overcast so no shadows....today was sunny in the same spot so that explains the different outcome.
Again thank you for your tutelage!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back