newb needs some advice..

vront

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

in the last few months I've been out taking pictures, i don't know why, I just felt like taking some pictures.I used a HP digital camera I borrowed from my brother, and some of the pictures came out really nice.

Now , why i started this thread:
I think I'll have to buy a camera.Firstly because I can't borrow that digi cam all the time and secondly I don't like digital photography all that much.
What i'd really like to call my own is an old camera.
I've seen some nice ones at a friend's house,and just from their outward appearance and the feeling to them when you hold'em in your hand I liked them better than the new HP i used.

I've been watching ebay over the last few weeks and what's in my budget are mostly old "Voigtländer" and "Praktica".

Hopefully one of you can give me some advice on what to get.
It just needs to be old,reliable and not too complicated to use..
It doesn't have to be the best camera ever made...

Sorry if this is a total newbish thread, but I am a total newb...

Hello there, first welcome to the forums!

I too am rather new here, and by no means would I refer to myself as an expert on camera selection. I think when you ask someone about a brand of style of camera, they are naturally going to recommend what they tend to use. I have never heard of the 2 that you listed but did a quick ebay search myself and found one of each. The Praktica looks very much like the Pentax ME Super that I use. I am not sure if you are going for old models due to the nostalgia factor, or financial or both. If it is for the price factor, you might want to check out the ME Super. My wife originally had one that I started using, and I ended up buying the new Pentax IST a month or so later b/c I prefer 35 mm over digital and also wanted autofocus and more modern features.

I recently purchased another ME Super off ebay though to have a camera that I could leave in the car for those shots that you see while driving and think, 'I wish I had a camera' but wouldn't kill me if it were stolen. I paid only $50 for it through ebay and you can find similar auctions with or without a lens for a few dollars more or less depending on your luck. They are built like a panzer tank and take excellent pics.

If you were going for the nostalgia factor, you might want to consider the lack of availability of accessories or repair if it is needed. I would think of it like having an antique rare auto. It's nice to have, but if you needed repair or accessories, it would be difficult to find items for those cameras probably. Also, if you decided that you really liked this and wanted to grow with it, you might want to look for something like older Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc. that are in better supply.

Anyway, hope that helps, just my .02

I think everyone wants Leica all the way. Personally I can not afford them, alltough I had a Contax point and shoot at one time. Maybe shop locally. Handling and close inspection of the camera is super important. "Voigtländer" and "Praktica" are good names as far as I am concerned. Then again my knowledge of cameras is limited to say the least.

Of course the saying goes "it is not the camera, it is the photographer". That saying may not be 100% true. Keep in mind that this will be your new buddy. Make sure that you will enjoy the camera; as opposed to battling it to load film etc.

I like Nikon all the way!!!!!

I suggest a Canon AE-1P as a nice beginner model. I wish I could suggest a Nikon equivelent but haven't done my homework on them. At any rate, you may want a camera from the late seventies or very early eighties.

In that age group your likely to get some automated metering and aperature and shutter timing, without a lot of computer in it. Then again, if you want auto focus, you'll want to look for something early eighties or younger.

That's my take, as it seems like your coming at this from the same direction I am on what you want in a camera. :)

pentax K1000 as a beginner or a canon AE-1..... i shoot all canon, cuz with my experiences with nikon, i switched over.... but the FM1? i think it is, its pretty decent also!

Pentax K1000 is a good reliable manual camera.
I love nikon, so I think FM2 or FM3 are great cameras, also manual.

I have heard of Praktica, but have never seen one.

Canon Rebel 2000 BODY only, no lens (try USED off Ebay)...add to that the Canon 50mm EF 50mm/f1.8 II lens.

The 50mm/f1.8 is a "normal" prime (non-zoom) lens and probably one of the sharpest lenses you can get for 35mm format.

Id either go for a Nikon F55, but if thats too expensive, get one of those Centon £100 ones...if not...go for one of the cannon AE-1 program cameras...I think ive seen them with a flashgun for about...ohh...say...£10?

What kind of old camera and how much are you willing to spend...other things you want to consider...yer obviously wanting a film camera...what format are you wanting 35mm , medium (120 or 620), of large format (4x5 negatives or larger). If this was a first and you wanted to start from ground up Agfa as well as Voightlander make some pretty good point and shoot 35mms, old manual canons and pentax 35mm slr are awesome but I personally get a new slr if your taking a larger leap. As for medium formats you can go to an older lower end Rollei TLR (twin lens reflex)....you can't get any simplier than that...just look for one that has a workin light meter. Also the older folding medium formats like the Zeiss Ikons can be gotten off ebay for under $30.

I agree with Jess,

I have a Canon AE-1 Program, and I've found it to be a great beginners camera. The controls are all logically arranged and simple, but it gives you a fair amount of flexibility with your photographic technique.

Now of course, I am biased because this is my camera... as Johnboy said.. nobody can recommend something other than their own...

So don't consider my post as a suggestion of what to buy, but simply a praise for something I have found works well.

Oh, and I almost forgot, there are pretty extensive resources available (multiple websites) specifically about this camera, its use, and its maintenance.

I had a conversation with my other half about photography and managed to pick up a well loved Pentax Spotmatic with a 50mm standard lens for £7.80. It was a very low cost introduction to manual SLR photography and although it doesn't have any viable options for expansion, will confirm whether you want to do manual SLR photography.

Similar cameras from other manufacturers are available, such as the Nikon FE, Canon A-1, etc. etc.

I'd recommend owning a very old (reliable!) SLR for a bit, it'll certainly take a better picture than a sub $200 digital camera and shouldn't cost much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back