Newbie here but wandering what's out there!

CAG76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I still consider myself very new at this photography thing or new to D-SLRs rather. I am learning so much on this site, and actually I still consider taking some photography classes. Right now photography is a hobby, but I really feel it could become something serious!

Now here's the thing. When it comes to photography, what would be a way to get started or to get my name out there? I don't know if there is any type of demand for this or not, but I am mostly interested in taking pictures that people would want mounted or framed to put on their walls. First being a collection of images already taken, then I can take any requests like if someone want's pictures taken of maybe people they know, animals they own or certain objects or maybe a certain area... you name it, I can take it and produce a poster, or picture framed or mounted. Is this a good direction.

I found a really good mounting company to do my mounting and they do such an amazing job with amazing materials for a fair price! I am talking elegant looking stuff. Things that would be sold in stores!

Perhaps should I have a gallery somewhere to attract attention?

Thanks for any help, people!

-Christopher

Great! I will try that! One thing that is tough for me, is how do I know when my photography is good enough? First of all, I am not at all getting my feelings hurt by people in the forum. Now I said that to say this... that I love the critiques and tips, but someone always has something to say about everything I post. So how do I know when it could just be a matter of taste. Some people like some things, but not all. You know? Maybe one might say that a particular photo is just bad, and 20 people like it!

I guess that is my big concern. I look at few photos I take and think they look pretty good, but how do I know they ARE good?

That is the $250,000 question. Photography is a journey for everyone. Truth be known it is only you who can judge when you are ready to get your work out there. Others may have a more solid approach. Personally it took me years of schooling and experience before I was ready to get my work out there.

Love & Bass

I guess that is my big concern. I look at few photos I take and think they look pretty good, but how do I know they ARE good?

Good question! I don't have the answer, but I find that looking at other people's photos helps a lot. Get in the habit of looking at the flickr explore page, and the "Most interesting from the last 7 days" page. You'll see some great photos and try and figure out what you like and don't like about each photo. Also reading some books on composition and stuff will give you some ideas of what is generally considered as "good".

I think anyone can learn the technical part of photography, but the artistic side is the real challenge! Well, at least for me, anyway! :)

the type of work you talking about "hanging on walls" is usually referred to as "Fine Art"

It is very difficult to make money selling Fine Art . It always has been and things haven't improved since the invention of the digital camera IMHO.

I check out a few of the images on that site, i would suggest picking out a couple for posting as there are a lot and most folks don't have the patience to view too many at a time.

My first thought, the dogs are cute, but just that and if i wasn't the owner of the animal i wouldn't hang them on the wall.
the vegetables show the beginnings of some creative thought, and would be a good place to start. For my taste i would like to see them up closer, but not in the tree.

remember this is just my 2 cents.

take lots of pictures, have a goal in mind.

and yes, i agree, technical information is much easier to learn. learning to see is a real challenge, but can be enhanced with hard work.

This imformation is VERY helpful and inspiring! Thanks guys! For pictures hanging on the wall, I actually thought about taking macro shots of morganic objects... you know, like plants, maybe animals, and fruit, and vegies etc. but getting a close up where you see parts of them where it could become something artistic.

I am an artist and a graphic designer, but I need to try to transfer my photography into art rather than just a photo taken.

You are right, I do think the peppers are a start but a lot more should be done with them to make it more like an art piece.

Thanks again!

-Christopher

Most reactions

New Topics

Back