Newbie here, flash dilemma

B800 or SB600 for off-camera flash newbie?

• B800

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • SB600

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

whtge8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, first post here! Ive been shooting for about 6 months now. My uncle sold me a Nikon D60 with a 17-70mm Sigma lens and an SB600 flash for $700. Couldnt pass that up. Ive been doing really basic stuff but recently my friend did a photoshoot of my car recently which inspired me to get some sort of flash.

Now the dilemma I have is that I could just use my SB600 off-camera with some receivers, but that would require me to buy a pretty expensive tall tripod. But the pro's is that its battery powered.

My second option is to get the Alien Bees beginner kit which comes with a B800, stand, and an umbrella for $350, but I wont be able to go too far since I cannot afford portable power.

Im still somewhat new to the photography scene so im thinking that the SB600 will be 'good enough', but with everything I need to buy for it like the stand, umbrella, receivers, etc... That it will almost go up to the price of just getting an Alien Bees. What do you guys think is the best option for me? Hoping to do mainly outdoor portraits when its dark out.

SB600 is around 250 on amazon last time i checked!!!! look it up

I already have a SB600. I was just wondering if with all the money im spending to use the SB600 off-camera, I would be better off with an B600 from Alien Bees.

Oh my bad!!! i still like the portability of the sb600, and i have no experience with the B400, sorry!

N.gif
What do you use it for mainly?

Look for inexpensive 8- to 10-foot light stands at places like Adorama.com, and consider that for off-camera flash work, dedicated,camera-brand-specific flash units are absolutely NOT needed. Something older, and lower-tech, like Vivitar 285HV flashes,with slaves or wireless receivers, makes a lot of sense.

Check out the flashzebra.com web site to check into some of your options.

Light stands are not that expensive. When working with off-camera flash units, automatic or dedicated flash control is actully NOT needed in 90 percent of situations; it's usually better to set the flash output levels by yourself, then determine the right exposure using "strobist" methods, like the WAG, or wild-a$$-guess method.

Well I would like to keep using the SB600 I have. I've also been looking at the cactus receiver which attachs on the flash and turns it into a screw type mount like a tripod. What kind of head do those light stands have?

The light stand shown at the link above has the "modern standard" 5/8 inch stud, which also has a 1/4 x 20 National Coarse thread on top--i.e., the standard, modern North American tripod mount thread size.

The light stand KmH linked you to will accept standard accessories of many types--either by means of the 1/4" x 20 thread, or by using the stud mount. The typical umbrella swivel bracket slips over the 5/8 inch stud,and then a set-screw holds the umbrella bracket onto the top of the light stand.

If you have a need to mount a flash without a bracket, it's possible to directly thread a hot shoe foot, or a slave with shoe foot fitting, directly to the 1/4" x 20 thread on top of the light stand stud.

Sorry if its right in my face but where is the link for the stand that has the adapter as most modern tripods?

Well ive been looking at the Cactus V4 but have a couple more questions. They said the response time is 1/1000 second. Does that mean that I cant shoot faster than that? Also what kind of results can I achieve with an SB600 at full power with an umbrella? How much ambient light or daytime light can I kill?

I'm not sure with the response time. But next time your outside bump your shutter to 1/1000 and see how much is exposed. And remember you'll need to be in high speed sync mode and that shutter speed effects ambient light and aperture effects the flash, and ambient. (I think)

Right now I use cactus V2 and I'm trying to upgrade to a SU-800 so I can use Nikon's CLS! But the cactus triggers are fairly dependable if you stay within range and keep good batteries in em'.

Look for a couple of used Nikon SB-80DXs. These are solid, well-made, and very highly regarded. You can use your SB-600 on-camera to fire the 80DXs optically.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back