newbie wanting some critiquing

samshaikh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey guys, im kinda new into photography and new on these forums. anyways, can you let me know what you think of this shot. i think its one of the best ive ever taken

537280540_c402fc0c7e.jpg

It is nicely done. However, it lacks sufficient contrast for my tastes. You have the extremes of light and dark without adequate middle tones and values to clarify just what one is viewing. I suppose it is some form of a fire pit. Also, the cropping has it too claustrophobic.

Rusty Tripod

It is nicely done. However, it lacks sufficient contrast for my tastes. You have the extremes of light and dark without adequate middle tones

:confused: High contrast = Low midtones.

Anyway, the shot is nice, though I think it would have been possible to get at least a bit more highlight detail than what you did capture. I also agree that the crop is a bit tight. And it would help if you could post a higher resolution image.

why do we need more detail in the highlights?

i like it in that respect .. almost like an abstract, inspires fantasy.

to me it is a dying koala.

I agree on the crop being rather tight though.

why do we need more detail in the highlights?

i like it in that respect .. almost like an abstract, inspires fantasy.

to me it is a dying koala.

I agree on the crop being rather tight though.

I agree with Alex. I would like to see a bit more area around the fire, and would also love to see this in color! I saw it as a cow having a bad hair day. ;)

NJ

:confused: High contrast = Low midtones.

Anyway, the shot is nice, though I think it would have been possible to get at least a bit more highlight detail than what you did capture. I also agree that the crop is a bit tight. And it would help if you could post a higher resolution image.

the high-res version can be seen here
http://flickr.com/photos/sameedshaikh/537280540/

there are other color shots in my flickr gallery as well, but that specific shot i only have in color. i still have the raw, i am going to try loosening it up a bit and playing with it some more. thanks for your help. if anyone wants to give me any help on the other photos in my flickr, that would be awesome. thanks.

This is a good image. The water is just stunning.

537397207_6ffe87def3.jpg

Your HDR attempts could use better tone mapping, and a tripod. I am going to guess the logs are handheld. If thats not the case, you need to remotely activate the shutter.

537396705_12007f44cb.jpg

this is a great picture, but the highlights, including the sky, are blown. But, out of the lot I find this to be my favorite.

537279342_10bd151cd5.jpg

I dont feel the need to put up the green tree picture. It is out of focus and overexposed.

Straighten your ballerina images, good composure though. On the first one (lets dance) I dont like the cut off arm.

If you really are a noob, this is nice work. Good job overall. I was a bit bored if you cant tell.

It is nicely done. However, it lacks sufficient contrast for my tastes. You have the extremes of light and dark without adequate middle tones and values to clarify just what one is viewing. I suppose it is some form of a fire pit. Also, the cropping has it too claustrophobic.

Rusty Tripod

You see I bow to your greater knowlege, BUT.
Extreems of light and Dark is the definition of contrast I always thought..
I would assume (Excuse me for being verbose) That the lack of mid tones would be (in you opinion ) Too much contrast.

anyway . For what it's worth..... I rather like it...

It is true that the highlights are blown and the shadows blocked up. But this is a fire , not a wedding group, and I think that that has a merit in this case... (IMHO).

If you are shooting Digital then RAW will give you more scope to operate.
Take 2 images from the original RAW file... 1 for the highlights, And 1 for the shadows and combine them to give you a better "Dynamic Range".

If Film you are beggared really. Use a tripod, Under expose 1 shot... Expose the next... over expose the third. When printing, you can combine the three, and use a technique called Dodging and Burning. in order to get a composite of the three where the "D Max" is acceptable across the range.

Always assuming that you WANT to.

To be honest I look at the image and seen the flagration which is the fire... Some of the heat sears the eyes (Burnt out highlights) and as a result you can't see the depth of the dark burnt wood (Blocked up shadows).
So... do you want a record of a chemical reaction (Perfect in all details). or o picture of a fire (Which is what you have).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back