Newbie wants to add Comments to Photos

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Bill39, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Bill39

Bill39 TPF Noob!

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I am an absolute beginner when it comes to photo editing.

Do programs like Photoshop or Roxio have the ability look at the properties of a jpeg file and import or access the property fields such as Title, Keyword, & Comments?

I have added comments and titles to some of my jpeg files but this is kinda like writing on the back of a real picture where you have to take it out of the album to read the comments.

Conversely, if I add a comment to the front of a jpg file then it is always there. I may want to "turn" the comment off sometime.

Any ideas on software to do this type of thing?

Thanks.

2. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Images can store IEXIF info in the image/file data. Download and install Opanda Exif... I believe it comes with an editor.

3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Only if the Title, Keywords, and Comments were entered into the IPTC fields as part of the EXIF data set.

I think it will depend what software you used to add that information. I shoot Nikon and when I upload using Nikon Transfer I put that type of info in the relevent IPTC fields and you can do it with EXIF writing software like www.PhotoMe.de . If I were to do it with Windows Picture Viewer, I'm not sure the info would reside in the IPTC fields.

As far as a caption added to the front of a JPEG, would that be under the image, or in the image?