Newbie, what editing software to buy for Mac?

Wildlife girl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a newbie to digital photography with a new Mac as well. I will be buying some editing software in a few months and don't know what to buy.

I don't have a lot of money to spend, so I can't afford Photoshop, but could afford Photoshop Elements. But, what about Aperture 2 or Photoshop Lightroom 2.0? I am confused about what program would be right for me.

Opinions welcomed! :D

Hello,
Actually, I would like to know as well. I have been really stuck with deciding which program to use. I was planning on purchasing Aperture 2, but I also like onOne Software Mask Pro 4. Would Photoshop have all of these? Or would it be better to purchase those two separately?

Thank you.

aperture is good, i dont use it for editing but i do use it for spotting, you can layer images and spot as many as you like with one click.

it has crop, and exposure controls, colour settings. I suppose aperture and photoshop are two different programs, if you want basic controls then aperture is good.

If you are looking for a program that allows you to airbrush, remove items and people and create effects then photoshop is the way to go.

Over elements and aperture I would go for aperture but im sure some one will produce a good argument for elements

i would not recommend aperture. i have it, i NEVER use it. PS4 is out now, if you cant get that, at least PS3. Photoshop is extremely superior to aperture and allows the user extreme flexibility in all facets of the digital darkroom.

however, if you'd like to buy aperture, i have a copy for sale. :lol:

If you couldn't afford Photoshop, and your not allowed an under the table version, what would you use?

i would illegally download it. and you're totally allowed an under the table version. whatever you do, don't use iphoto either. when it comes to filing your images, iphoto will be the first to **** it up.

That was the first thing to go off my mac,

How do you organize workflow if not through aperture, thats the only thing i use it for apart from batch spotting in

I use Bridge to "sort" and "organize" images. I process and edit in Photoshop. I don't agree with the "get rid of iPhoto" thoughts though. It's rare but sometimes if I'm shooting family snapshots or party photos and shooting jpg, then I throw them into iPhoto. If you know where iPhoto is keeping your images and know how to keep it under control it's not a bad application...

I really do only use it every once in a while, so let's not start a iPhoto vs Non-iPhoto arguement. I'm just saying, unless you're very depserate for space on your drive, why not keep it installed?

Yeah I got rid of it to save as much space on my drive, its not a bad application, well actually good for what it does, I just removed all the apps i didnt use.

I think the fact you have to look through folders to find your images is what put me off it.

Yes I save as tiff for print, I also save a psd copy and original copy.

I save the psd so if I want to tweak my editing, or say remove a cross process layer but keep other editing I can without having to start again

starting out full photoshop is a waste of an investment - you are paying for many features that you just won't be able to use for a long time. Better spend the money on lenses that let you get shots - you can always edit a shot another day - but you can't take a shot that you missed for lack of the right kit.

As for what programs consider photoshop elements, there are even quite a few plugins (free) that you can get to expand functionality a lot. Further there is paintshop pro which is in the same price bracket and is less hobbled than elements is/

What I want to do is to be able to get rid of unnecessary things, fix the exposure, etc. I guess just basic stuff...for now. I'm also interested in the onOne software mask pro 4.
I'm assuming photoshop can do both aperture 2 and mask pro. Photoshop CS4 is expensive, but is it better in the long run. I probably save more money in the long run as well, I think.
I'm not sure.
Also, what is Photoshop CS4 Extended edition? Does it just have more features? Do I have to get the Photoshop CS4 normal version first?

Can someone clarify?
Thank you.

I'm still on cs3 so don't no much about cs4 yet. But photoshop is the industry standard for retouching, so I'd get that.

Thanks for all your replies. I'll probably go with Elements. Photoshop is out of my reach financially. And, yes, years ago I had the illegal version, but frankly it's out of my reach technically as well at this point.

Not sure what I'll use to organize my photos. Maybe I can find a free program for the time being.

I just bought Logic Studio and am adding components to that, so my pockets are pretty empty! ;)

What's the difference between Elements and Photoshop?

elements is stripped down photoshop. Similar interface (though not identical) and fewer advanced features. It generally does more than enough for a beginner and most people never move of it - simply put a lot of what you get in full photoshop requires you to know what you are doing to get the best out of it and for many photographers that high level of editing (especaily hobby photographers) often feels to be too much computer work and not enough camera work.

I think photoshop full is only worth investing in if you have the know how of what you are doing or you are sitting a dedicated course on it with the intent of using it to its fullest.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back