Newest Card

Bitter Jeweler said:
I don't understand why Photography, and Graphic Design seem to be the "easy" businesses to get into.
Proper equipment and software can be quite expensive.

For less that a decent camera kit, one can get into jewelery making, and repair.
The common everyday tools are cheap and easy to use. On nearly every job I use a small saw, files, pliers, sand paper, a rotary handpiece, very, very, similar to a Dremel kit you can buy at the hardware store, and a small torch. Anyone can easily operate these tools. Their functions are far simpler than using a camera. You can even do it out of your house! It's also rather easy money! There's also much less competition!

Why the draw to photography and design?

You can't click a couple buttons and slide a couple sliders and make a piece of jewelry then post it on the Internet/Facebook to have instant satisfaction and feedback on your skillz, but you can post a picture of one you found at the flea market!

OMG. I'm so going to engineer the instant jewelry studio!

It will include a full pound of cubic zirconium.

So in processing, I have come up with my card with the following options:

All the text is has a foil accent, all with a gloss finish (should just the top part have foil? Or everything?). Should I keep the comment on the back, or is taking Ansel's quote and not referring him not allowed? I can make my own quote or slogan if need be. Writing is, unlike my photography and design skills apparently, a strong suit of mine.

I'm no lawyer (and don't want to be one, no offense) but you probably should give credit to the person that quoted this. I'm not saying you have to put the "" marks but you need to give them credit.

I don't understand why Photography, and Graphic Design seem to be the "easy" businesses to get into.

For less that a decent camera kit, one can get into jewelery making, and repair.
The common everyday tools are cheap and easy to use. On nearly every job I use a small saw, files, pliers, sand paper, a rotary handpiece, very, very, similar to a Dremel kit you can buy at the hardware store, and a small torch. Anyone can easily operate these tools. Their functions are far simpler than using a camera. You can even do it out of your house! It's also rather easy money! There's also much less competition!

There is No AUTO mode in jewelry making! ;)

Bitter Jeweler said:

I'll use a sports analogy to explain this. You can be the very best athlete among 1000 kids at your high school and get a college scholarship. In college you're likely going to be a mediocre athlete at best among the thousands of college athletes but maybe you're a standout in college as well so you go pro. The likelihood is that if you make it that far you'll be a mediocre pro at best.

My point to all of this is that the people you speak of probably are the best photographers out of the group of people they know, mostly friends and family. The problem is people don't get that being the best out of 100 is far different than being the best among 10,000 and being able to go to the next level. They tend to skip that in between but all important learning gap between amateur and pro. I'd count myself among the college benchwarmers right now hoping to learn enough to get in the game. I don't know where the OP is at but I think my reasoning applies to a lot of the "I bought a fancy camera now I'm a pro" posters.

meanwhile those damn athletes are using up resources which academic talent can use.

My point here has nothing to do with photography.

Photoshop Elements 8.

Why are you using raster graphics for something like this instead of vector graphics?

^^ this!

Plus, I'm guessing it's in RGB. That means that the printer is going to lay down all four process inks on the background. That fine text is going to be a ***** to print, and it will not likely ever be crisp and clean the way you expect it. That is unless your printer's prepress department is going to rebuild it for you at $45/hour.

RE: inkscape: inkscape is good, and is very good for producing web vector graphics (think svg). But last I knew it is still missing some important prepress features, like overprint, spot and trap.

This card ought to be a 2-color print job, or if you want it to stand out, 2-color plus varnish or matte black plus gloss grey and gloss red, or metallic silver and metallic red...

Last edited:
Try something graphic designers actually use....

Inkscape. Draw Freely.

Is this what you use? I've used Fireworks quite a bit for vector graphics and I'm curious why you recommend this over something like Fireworks? Thanks Bitter.
I recommend it because it's free.
I have Illustrator 10 (IIRC). I used to use it for years to draw jewelery designs for customers. Now I do 3D CAD with Rhino and Matrix for that. Vector graphics were a great base to jump into 3D.

There's no photoshop action to click on and make a bad ring half ass good?!?

There's so much I don't know what to reply to. Whoever said 'what graphics program do I use,' and then someone said I would disregard it as irrelevant - false. I find this to be useful knowledge. Jhodges - YOU NAILED IT!!!!!!! Among my peers I'm the best, but now at the college level I'm learning there are people a lot better than me :( I'm a little worried about the RGB thing... I use Photoshop Elements 8 cause of all the options; you can't make a background like that in Inkscape can you? I had Inkscape at one time because I was looking for a vector program but deleted it. It seemed very complicated, not that I wouldn't be willing to learn. I made the resolution of my card extremely high though so hopefully that will even things out.

Where have you gone, OP?

Nothing more to add, or answers to the questions I asked?

Shame.

Well, I did just post right before you.... but like I said, a wholeeee bunch of comments, can't even remember them all. But if your question was about what designer qualifications I have, then I'll tell you. I haven't had classes, but as I mentioned above among my peers I am the best, so I suppose I thought I was good, but I realize now I have a lot to learn.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back