Night photography

lanikhong

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but I'll
be shooting an event in a couple of weeks. Event will be outdoors during the day leading to night time. I usually only shoot during the daylight so is there any special equipment that any of you could suggest I use for night photography? I shoot with a canon 5dmk3 and have a an external flash.

A fast lens and a diffuser for your flash. If you're going to be outdoors you probably won't have the ability to bounce your flash for most shots, meaning that you'll have to direct it at your subjects in order to use it. The diffuser will mitigate the hideous pop-up flash look.

If you want people to really look at you funny, maybe get one of those flash brackets and cables that allows you to move the flash up off the camera. Never used one myself, but I imagine it would help provide nicer light by moving the source off-axis.

Use available light sources like street lights or area lights, or even lit signs. You'll need a high ISO. Flash will help, but get it off camera. You can hold it in your hand and trigger it with the camera's pop-up.

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but I'll
be shooting an event in a couple of weeks. Event will be outdoors during the day leading to night time. I usually only shoot during the daylight so is there any special equipment that any of you could suggest I use for night photography? I shoot with a canon 5dmk3 and have a an external flash.

Is this a serious question or are you messing with us? You have an 5dmkiii and have never used it at night? Just use a prime lens point and click. That thing is a monster and can handle what your needing to do easily.

read this too. It will be helpful.

http://ilovephotography.com/article9.html

In my quest for low light shots without a flash, I first upgraded to fast glass and recently, a 5D3. That was all it took. ISO 6000 on the 5D3 is better than 1600 on my former 60D. I was able shoot at f4 and 5.6 a good part of the time, with no flash, keeping the shutter speed at 1/125th or thereabouts. But when I wanted the flash, I have it on a bracket that permits me to shoot in portrait mode and keep the flash above the lens.

The downside is carrying a gripped 5D3 with a comparatively 'light' 24-105L or 135L, and a 580 EX II on a bracket for about 4 hours. My right arm was sore the next day. I use only a hand strap for support much of the time.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back