Nikon 16-85

cccott3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today I received my lens and was really excited until I read the manual. Yeah apparently I'm going to need the one for dummies? I still don't quite understand all if these letters!! For example VR you should leave on unless using a tripod? And keep on normal unless you are shooting something that's moving? And this one is REALLY going to make me look like an idiot but if set on M/A do you not mess with the focus ring?? Help:(

cccott3 said:
Today I received my lens and was really excited until I read the manual. Yeah apparently I'm going to need the one for dummies? I still don't quite understand all if these letters!! For example VR you should leave on unless using a tripod? And keep on normal unless you are shooting something that's moving? And this one is REALLY going to make me look like an idiot but if set on M/A do you not mess with the focus ring?? Help:(

If its like my lens you can let the lens autofocus or you can manually focus by moving the ring. You don't have to mess with the ring.

Vibration reduction - keep off on a tripod because the VR will actually cause slight movement (vibration) because it will be "looking" for movement.

I wouldn't worry about VR too too much. Just keep it on. You probably won't need it that much (unless your shaky or have slow shutter speed) but it won't hurt unless on a tripod.

Seriously, just put the lens on and play with it. I've never read the manual for my lens. My camera - yes.

With your camera you should check and make sure that your ISO isn't set to auto!

Ok thank you so much!

Megan is right. No on a tripod. The only other time I switch off is for action. VR takes a fraction of a second to activate. If you actuate shutter while it's activating you can get a blurry image.

Active VR mode is for when you are on a vehicle.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back