Nikon 28-85mm focus question

guitar guy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently purchased a used D50 which came with a Nikon 28-85mm lens. I first noticed I could not take close up pictures when at 28mm. Not even close up, like an object 5 feet away for instance-- can't focus on it at 28mm. I brought it into the camera store and the clerk said it was because of the lens, she put a a different lens on and it worked.

I thought maybe it was just the autofocus function that wouldn't work at that focal length, close up, so I tried it on manual focus and it still won't work.

Just something about that lens?

How close can you focus to at 28mm?

If this is your lens, and I suspect it is, then the macro mode is manual focus ONLY, in the orange range, and that goes down to 0.23 meter, or about 9.1 inches. According to this the normal close-focusing limit (meaning normal focus range, not in the macro-focusing range) is 0.8 meters, or about three feet. To get into Macro mode, you need to push that small silver button and turn...

AF Zoom-Nikkor 28-85mm f 3.5 4.5 lens group - Index Page

If this is your lens, and I suspect it is, then the macro mode is manual focus ONLY, in the orange range, and that goes down to 0.23 meter, or about 9.1 inches. According to this the normal close-focusing limit (meaning normal focus range, not in the macro-focusing range) is 0.8 meters, or about three feet. To get into Macro mode, you need to push that small silver button and turn...

AF Zoom-Nikkor 28-85mm f 3.5 4.5 lens group - Index Page

Ahh, thanks, looks like that's the ticket!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back