D5000 vs D5100 need your help and advice

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Will be going on a trip in few days to Vancouver and West USA and decided to take a second camera as backup to my D750
My D60 is nice to use at home but for serious shooting in low light condition it simply doesnt do what I need it too so............
I went to my camera store and they have 2 cameras (second hand) for sale
D5000 for 220$
D5100 for 320$
My question is does the D5100 worth the extra 100$
Mind you the camera will get almost no use and is just for backup purpose but if I will need it the camera will be worth its weight in gold for me so what do you think ?

My main importance is low light performance, I know the D5100 has the D7000 sensor and from owning this camera in the past I know how good it is in low light but I know nothing of how good the D5000 is at low light.

Other differences are of course important so please add that to your recommendation

FYI I will be on my way to the camera store in few hours so please let me know what you think soon.

If you weren't leaving so soon, I'd sell you MY D5100 for something in between those two prices.

I really can't remember what the differences were, and don't have time to look it up just now--but I do know that when I made the decision to buy the then-new D5100 as my first DSLR, I felt that it was enough of an improvement over the D5000 to be worth the extra money. And at the time, I was still a single mom with one boy just off to college and the other just out of high school, so extra funds were tough to come by.

I looked at a few comparison stuff between these and other older Nikon bodies. I think that the newer sensor is worth a little extra. I bought a d200, great pro body but for a little extra I could have bagged a d3200, which I am sorry I didn't. As I said on a post recently the newer tech has me spoilt.

I too checked the net and DXOMARK.

For a long time I always said the oldest Nikon camera I would recommend buying new or used is the D5100 and decided to take my own advice, I decided to spend the extra cash and got the D5100.
It will not get much use but if god forbid something will happened to my D750 the D5100 really will work much better then any other camera that came before it.
The jump from the D5000 to the D5100 seems big.

Now I have a new toy to learn to work with :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back