Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8

nickzou

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So there's this guy who has this lens and he wants to sell it. He dropped it and now it doesn't focus properly. He's willing to part with it for 40 dollars. Should I buy it and get it repaired? How much are average repair costs?

Also does anyone know anything about this lens? How does it compare to the 70-200mm f/2.8 optically? (Obviously the 80-200mm doesn't have VR).

The cost of the repair will vary dependent on what is amiss with the lens. How does it not focus properly?

Which of the 4 different versions of the 80-200 f/2.8 is the lens? Is it one of the 2 older push-pull zoom versions, or one of the 2 newer 2-ring versions?

Last edited:
Yep even at $200-$300 repair would still be worth it. The older push-pull one ring goes for $450 +/- $100 and newer two-ring would be in the $650-$850 range. Of course it being a AF-D lens would not AF on a D40,D60,D3100,D5100 kinds of entry cameras.

And even if I didn't need one would buy it and turn around and sell it for $150-400 after finding out repair cost and letting the buyer know what it would cost total.

Yep even at $200-$300 repair would still be worth it...
Assuming it could be repaired for that. I recently had to send my 24-70 in for a warranty repair, and because of a problem with the focusing helicoid, Nikon deemed it beyond economical repair and replaced it with a brand-new unit. You could take the risk and buy it, and send it off to Nikon; between purchase, shipping and repair estimate, you would be into it for ~$160. If they could repair it for a reasonable price, it would be a good deal, but if not...

It's the oldest AF model.

Still $40 is little to gamble to find out what it would cost to repair. And little risk as still could sell it 2x or 3x as it is now. As some don't mind manual focus at all and prefer it. I would sell it as-is for $100-$200 and sure to sell if to costly to repair. Still Great glass even if AF doesn't work.

It's not just the AF. It doesn't manual focus either. There's something misaligned in the lens.

if you can still manually focus it, then $40 is a steal! i've sold broken versions of this lens on ebay with no reserve and they went for $200. The optics are as good or better then the 70-200mm vr1, and just a hair worse then the new vr2. In mint condition the single ring is a $500-600 lens.

I just sold one for $600 in mint condition if that is a guide line for you.

For years it was my favorite lens.

Should and can I get a tripod collar for it?

Ahh... this kinda sucks. This is such an obscure product. I want to put this lens on a monopod. Is this viable without the lens collar?

Most reactions

Back