70-300mm VR, how do you guys feel about this lens?

nickzou

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It's relatively cheap compared to the 70-200mm VR II. It is slower and quite heavy but it seems nice. But for you more experienced photographers, what do you guys think of this telephoto?

It lacks a constant 2.8 aperture. So i don't like it. Do you want a more affordable version of the 70-200? 80-200 2.8D lens. IT's a GREAT lens. Much better than the 70-300 (but lacks vr and is slightly shorter).

But i love it, and it is tack sharp.

No complaints from me.

the 50mm-300mm VR is a little cheaper and from what I read it was rated slightly higher than the 70-300mm

EDIT - still doesn't have a high constant aperture

Isn't the 50-300 a DX lens? I've made it a point to not purchase any DX lenses anymore since I do have aspirations to step up to the D800 a year into its lifecycle.

Hi got one, its nice to have a 300 lens rather than a 200 not as nice a lens but for the money and the 300 it works for me.

All the best

the 70-300 vr lens is decent but....

nothing at all like the quality you will get with the 80-200 or 70-200 series of lenses.

Having owned a 70-300 and both versions of the 70-200 I can tell you it's a night and day difference....price reflects a measure of quality to be expected.

The 70-300 VR is very highly rated for its price/performance ratio! To be honest it can't really be compared to a 70-200 2.8 as it lacks the constant aperture of the 70-200. It is not designed to appeal to people who want a 70-200 2.8 really as it is more a walkaround telephoto lens for day shots and not to mention its a third of the price and is incredibly slow and the build quality dosen't hold a candle to the 70-200. I have a 70-300 VR and I love it, I would prefer a 70-200 VR. But I wouldn't be able to put it in my bag and forget it was there!

I have one for when I need that extra reach, for aeroplane, nature shots or whatever it may be! If I am doing portraits, I wouldn't want to use a 70-200 anyway as I'd much rather use a prime for its lighter weight and more control over DOF. So a 70-200 VR would serve little purpose to me personally as I don't shoot sports or action shots really where you need the extra speed and DOF. But its all down to what you prefer I guess! If you need a fast lens, you need a 70-200. Simple as, because the 70-300 will fall far short.

If you don't believe me.. here is a review from a guy who knows alot more than I do.. Hogan is a harsh critic aswell and he rates this lens very highly!
70-300mm AF-S VR Lens Review by Thom Hogan

In his own words... ' The new VR is an excellent performer'.

You might find it lacks the sharpness of the 70-200/80-200 f2.8 too, along with some physical characteristics as well.

*moving to Nikon lenses subsection*

Do you get paid mileage for every move?
hilarious.gif

Have you considered a Tamron 70-300mm VC USD lens (not the one with macro)? Several people at a Nikon forum has posted it was sharper than the Nikon lens in the 200-300mm range. It's cheaper too. I got one, and I love it. It stays on my D7000 most of the time. The AF is fast and the VC is very good! I think Tamron is running rebates right now too. Some people only want Nikon lenses, but if another is as good or better, and is cheaper, I don't have a problem with it, personally. Here's where I got mine: Amazon.com: Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics It's for both DX and FX cameras, so won't have to replace it if you upgrade to full frame.
Good luck with whatever you get.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back