Nikon D3????

@OP:The D3 is a great looking camera and I'm sure you will be happy with its many upgrades. I suggest hanging onto the D7000 though, especially on sports shoots, just in case you want that longer reach and higher pixel coverage of the cropped region (with a 36MP full frame this doesn't matter, but a 12MP yes, I would want to bring both bodies)

@Billydoo:
Nice.
The D3 is just a beautiful beast of a camera. It's my main body for weddings and it takes a beating. How?
Here is my D3 after it got run over by a car...
Why Pros shoot the Nikon D3 | Chris Bilodeau
Enjoy your new camera!!!
And from the article:
Any other camera body would probably be in pieces.
How could you possibly know anything of the sort? The D7000 the OP had for instance is also magnesium alloy. Or even a tiny plastic Canon SL1 might have survived, because A) The plastics they use are actually debatably as strong as magnesium alloy for certain types of damage, B) A smaller camera has less torque applied to its parts, and inherently higher crush strength all other things equal, C) Maybe the force on the body just simply wasn't high enough to break a lesser camera even if it does use weaker materials, etc.

I have to say that I read many of your posts as there is often good info there. Did you ever step back though and think "I don't have to argue every single point"

Nope. But it's distinctly less interesting and fun to just go "Yup. Them's a story alright. That sucks." And in my opinion, leads to less being learned usually than actually challenging things, especially things that are not opinions and can be addressed scientifically like this. Plus, the OP already answered his original question.

Hi all....I have to say that I fell in love with the camera, however, I had to send it back to the seller. The sensor was extremely dirty with some sort of oil and yuckiness. It also appeared that the sensor had a scratch on it. :-(. I'm reluctant to purchase another d3....
Dirt can be dealt with. A scratch is a different story. That's bad luck.
Why would you be reluctant to buy another d3?

It's on older camera and I really want one, however, it was very disappointing when I started shooting and saw the scratch and the dirt (which looked like oil) show up in the pics. It was cleaned but to no avail. :-(

The sensor was extremely dirty with some sort of oil and yuckiness.
How do you know it was "some sort of oil"?

A really good friend of mine cleaned the sensor for me and whatever was on that sensor seemed to smear instead of coming off cleanly.

Oh I didn't notice that part. Kat, that might be why it was such a good deal... I would be quicker to assume that it was cheap BECAUSE it had a scratched sensor, in reality, than to assume that D3s are just generally faulty or something. It almost certainly happened from the user, not the factory.

If you can still afford a more normally priced D3, go ahead and get another one. KEH probably has the best used deals and information on used condition. If not, there are other upgrades you could do in between if you still don't like your D7000 enough to use it.

Thank you, Gavjenks! I'll keep looking. I really like the D3.

ISO, AF and DR kill the d7k
the d7k is a plastic toy camera in comparison
the fact that someone told you it's only a little better than the d7k in high ISO is an lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back