Nikon D3100 Question

bigmags14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been getting terrible video quality from my D3100 with the kit 18-55mm lens. I use the 1080p video @ 24fps with asandiskclass 10 card. My pictures always look fine. My video is always grainy no matter what. Even at iso100.Isomakes no difference. I usually use Manual mode for video. I usually use f/8 or so and a shutter speed of 1/60 of a second usually. I don't know where i'm going wrong. What could be causing the grain? I need this resolved because I am going away tomorrow and I want to shoot some good video. Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only thing that I can think of is that the focus is off or the VR is really shaky

i ended up just turning VR off because it makes this buzzing noise when its on that the microphone picks up. im using manual focus also i forgot to add. VR being on makes no difference.

Does it look exactly the same as high-iso grain? Does it look grainy in the camera? And has the camera always done this?

If you could post video, that might help clarify your problem.

Unless the VR mechanism is causing the problem by putting out electrical noise, it shouldn't add graininess.

EDIT: Just to quell my curiosity, I googled this problem and saw that you have posted the same thread multiple times, and everyone keeps telling you the video looks fine. I agree with them, and I also think you should exercise good internet etiquette and not post the same question word for word multiple times.

I'm not sure what you're expecting from an entry-level DSLR for video quality, but it seems like what you're getting out of the camera is great.

Here is a video the OP posted in another thread

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mean to be rude and keep posting the same thing multiple times. It's just im not getting an answer. The video looks good AFTER its uploaded to youtube. It looks grainy (like it would if it had a high iso) when I view it on my mac using quicktime player or nikon's nx2 software. So the video looks great after its uploaded to youtube but bad on my mac. It even looks a tad grainy on the camera itself its weird. And yes the camera has always done this.

You are getting an answer. The camera is functioning correctly, and multiple people told you this. Sometimes things just don't render correctly, and that's probably the issue with your mac. You're getting clean, sharp video on YouTube. Like I said, you can't expect perfection from an entry level DSLR. Unless you just edit videos for your own pleasure, I'm assuming you're putting them up on a video sharing website, and you're getting good results that way.

If I were you, I would post on some mac forums about this, because the problem seems largely isolated to your computer.

Also, most things look bad and grainy on the 230k dot LCD on your camera. Going from the high res screen on my D90 at work to the low res one on my personal D3000 is a trip because everything looks like crap on the low res screen

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back