Nikon D500 questions from owners.

DarkShadow

Birdographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am pretty sure I am getting the D500 because I mostly shoot wildlife and the D500 makes perfect sense with its AF and frame rate, but do have some concerns.
1. I have read quite a few reports of card errors and rather its from the cards or a camera issue. This is my biggest concern.
2. I have read the rubber grommet just at the back side of the card slot door I think it maybe a stopper is falling off some of the body's and leaves a opening where water or dust can get in the card slot reader and to lose such a part in the field would be nearly impossible to find. why it is removable in the first place is beyond me.
3. I am aware of third party battery being an issue so no concerns there.

I generally take complaints with a pinch of salt, but there seems to be enough of the above that seems credible enough for some concerns, So any input of the above or issues D500 shooters may have stumbled upon would be greatly appreciated.

Subscribing to this, as I'm looking to buy a D500 in the next week or two as well.

Yes that's about my time frame as well to purchase.

I have had my D500 for about 2 months and haven't noticed any of these issues (fingers crossed). I use the recommended Lexar XQD card which has been pretty reliable so far. If I recall correctly, the memory card issues may have been fixed with newer firmware releases. I always use OEM batteries so I can't really speak to that item.

Thanks adamhirans,thats good to hear.

There were card errors were with Lexar SD cards. Not with XQD cards.
Lexar have supposedly addressed that now, and Nikon released firmware update to stop the error message.
Or just get Sandisk SD cards - there have been no issues with Sandisk.
Sorry, can't help you with the other.

I have had the D500 since it came out - almost a year.
Absolutely love it! - I shoot sports and the focusing accuracy and speed is superb.
Just read up on when it is best to use "Group" and when you should NOT use Group.

Thanks yea been doing a lot of reading about the D500 focusing, I watched Steve Perry Backcountry gallery for some good starting points much different beast then the D7200.

I've had it since it came out and haven't had any of those issues (knock on wood).
Oh and I'm not easy on my gear most of the time I'm using it in rain,snow, dirt, dust and mud. I also use it with Nikon lens 90% of the time 500mm, 200-400mm and 70-200mm

No issue just a few things I've become aware of.
#1 - it seems a lot of cameras have card issues. Stick with the ones that are known to work well.
# 2 - the rubber grommet really is more like a 4 piece square foam seal around the memory card door. It does look like it can be easily disrupted if you prod it and thus cause a concern- but then it really doesn't get in the way as it's mostly flush and the door closes onto it. The snap close is more solid than my other cameras. I haven't really liked the slide lock compared to the old D70 which is the same as the upper Pro camera bodies. But the card slide lock is a little better than the d750, d600, d7000 etc bodies.
IMG_9241.JPG

# 3 I have the OEM grip. After my D750 3rd party grip I'll stick with OEM grips.

a few other things I've noticed:
The little subselector toggle button is also AE-L/AF-L if you push it in ... not well documented.

I had to get a Diopter adjustment correction lens as it wasn't as adjustable as my other past cameras.

I have issues with AUTO ISO on certain astro subjects. But then the auto iso was a mistake and should have been manual. But still odd with a high noisy iso with the same exposure as a low ISO. Just an odd thing.

Very solid feeling camera all around.
The sound and speed of the shutter mechanism and AF is just plain awesome.

Last edited:
Awesome observation.

No pictures of it but Thom Hogan mentions in his second week D500 problem assessment the rubber card door stop. I had to chuckle on his way to go Nikon remark. However I am going by users reporting this on dpreview.

Rubber card door stop falls out — possibly a problem. I haven’t seen it fall it on my camera, but it’s definitely removable, which seems to be surprising for a supposedly weather sealed camera. This is one to watch for over time to see how many folk lose the rubber stop. It looks like poor design to me. And, of course, Nikon doesn’t generally sell parts any more, even user-installable ones. Way to go, Nikon!

Last edited:
I don't understand the "rubber door stop"
The door stop as 2 hard stops based on 2 flat pins on either side of the door that slides into, locks and stops the door.
flat pin show in top left
IMG_9244.JPG

flat pin receiver
IMG_9245.JPG

On the backside of the door is a rubber stop that isn't an actual stop because those 2 flat pins do that. I think that's what they are taking about. (edit: Looking at it more, that flat rubber piece probably absorbs shock when the door is sprung open fully)

IMG_9242.JPG

But I do find the d750 door chamber to looks more water proof than the d500 chamber as the gasket goes around the card slots, versus the D500 which the gasket only goes around 3/4 of the chamber area.

D750
IMG_9243.JPG

Last edited:
From a picture I came across on the web that I can no longer find, but using your picture it looked like this is what was falling out.
Capture.JPG

From a picture I came across on the web that I can no longer find, but using your picture it looked like this is what was falling out.View attachment 134114
That's the rubber stop for when the sprung door opens.

Mine doesn't move at all on my camera. If it fell out, and wasn't lost, I would assume just using some Outdoor/Marine Adhesive would be more than enough to keep it in.

FYI, here's the d750 little rubber stop.
IMG_9247.JPG

Most reactions

Back