Nikon D5500 - Its coming, Its coming

You would put it in "Scene" and then select the scene mode with the control wheel. That's how it is on the D7x00 cameras.

Already on Nikon's site

I wonder if they fixed the infamous "no exposure in live-mode." I have the D5300. The specifications from the website are nothing different from the D5300. Classic Nikon.

EDIT: Mark my word, it now has touchscreen. Of course I buy the D5300 before the D5500 is released with a touchscreen. *heavy, heavy sigh*

No thank you on the touchscreen.

I look at my photos a lot and don't want finger prints to ruin my view.

Im sure I could turn the touchscreen off though.

Still don't know if its worth upgrading from the D5300.

I will call my local shop and see what they give me on a trade in, since I bought the d5300 from the local shop.

If they give me $500 and I can pick up the D5500 body only for $900, then I might go for it.

^ $1999.99

You getting one?

^ $1999.99

You getting one?

Me? Nope. Very, very happy with my D7100. Even if I was still shooting a D5200 I seriously doubt this would be of any interest to me personally. I have no use for a touch screen, I really don't like them at all and in a camera I think they would be horrible "feature" to add. I have no doubt that if I had the screen flipped around I'd be activating some menu option I don't want every time I'd put the viewfinder to my eye - goodness knows I have enough trouble with that with the cell phone. Lol

same guts, more bells and whistles

Compare the specs on the 5500 and 5300. What were they thinking? Nikon's looking like GM: recalls, lemons, muddled product lines, defects, indifferent CRM.

Suspect the D7100 update will amount to Wi-Fi, an Expeed 4 chip and a marginally larger buffer.

Last edited:
Compare the specs on the 5500 and 5300. What were they thinking? Nikon's looking like GM: recalls, lemons, muddled product lines, defects, indifferent CRM.
More like Canon, they came back in the day with the T2i which was a good camera and then just kept putting more stuff on the same camera calling it T3i, T4i, T5i
Just a little R&D and Nikon hopes the fools who like upgrading will sell their D5200 and D5300 to get the D5500.

Maybe when they release the D5400 it will actually have improvements?

Maybe when they release the D5400 it will actually have improvements?
I was actually surprised for a second why would they jump over the D5400 but then I remembered some markets see the number 4 as a bad sign so I don't think you will see this number coming up.

Is that why they jumped over the D710, D720, D730, and D740?

Nikon nomenclature is about as confusing as their decision to release the exact same camera for $200 more.

It is honestly much too late. The only key differences are the capacitive touchscreen (same as the iPhone and other touchscreen phones), some body changes (deepened grip, button placement, etc.), and some firmware changes.
So if you have not yet upgraded from a basic, say D3xxx models, then upgrading to this is worth it. If you have any D5xxx models, it is not worth upgrading. Unless, of course, you want a Nikon's first go at a touchscreen. No hate on Nikon, but their first isn't always the best.

Keep that in mind, it is your decision. In my opinion, it is definitely not worth the extra few hundred dollars. But then, what do I know, I am just some dude on the internet.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back